Planning a Stakeout

Start from the beginning

Laura shook her head. "No, every single time it's happened, everyone else was gone except the guards."

"They've arrested the guards, I hope?" asked Frank.

Laura nodded. "Of course, but they're not talking, unfortunately. Either they were paid fairly well, or people close to them were threatened."

"What time did Dad go to the meeting?" asked Frank.

"The meeting started at one. He should be home soon, in fact," said Laura. "I hope that's his excuse for not getting back to us." She paused. "Well, besides the fact that we're on the phone with you right now, Ezra."

Collig chuckled. "That's fine. You can call me back once you've heard from Fenton."

Joe turned towards the door. He thought he heard a car door closing. "Unless that's Dad outside right now."

"I hope so," said Laura. "Ezra, can you wait a moment while we check?"

"Sure."

"Thank you. Ken, stay here." The three Hardys left the study and went down the stairs. They reached the bottom as the front door opened and fenton Hardy walked in.

"Dad!"

"Fenton!"

He raised an eyebrow. "My goodness, I've only been away for two hours. You're acting like I've been kidnapped again, or something!" He kissed his wife. "But I guess that means you found something."

"Oh boy, did we ever," said Joe.

"Let's head back up to the study," suggested Frank. "Ken and the Chief are waiting."

Fenton blinked as he glanced between them. "The errand boy heard something?"

"And his life has been threatened for it," said Laura. "Ezra's sending Reilly over to take him to his house so he can't be found by his pursuers." She let out a huff. "And he might have to stay there until we've found his real uncle."

"Oh my, a big development. Lead the way." Laura nodded and began going up the stairs. "By the way, any developments with the farmhouse hunt?" Fenton asked the boys as they walked up the stairs. Frank and Joe took turns, giving Fenton a quick account of what happened. They finished their summary as they entered the study room. He patted each one on the back. "You did fabulous out there." he turned and looked at Ken. He walked towards the boy, extending his hand. "And you must be this brave Ken Blake I've heard so much about."

Ken became flustered, but he shook Fenton's hand heartily. "I-I wouldn't say particularly brave. I just didn't think it right that the Elekton building should be blown up." he let out a breath. "Of course it was made easier by finding out my uncle really isn't my uncle, so I guess you can say this is payback for lying to me." His brown eyes flashed with anger.

Fenton nodded. "Understandable, and I hope in return we can find your real uncle."

"I'm working on it, Fenton," came Collig's voice over the loudspeaker, startling everyone.

"Oh, hello Ezra! Glad to hear that you're already on top of that. Laura told me about Reilly coming to pick him up."

"Yup, and he should be there in a few minutes, so have your things ready to go Ken."

Ken chuckled nervously. "I already am. I only have the clothes on my back and my bike." Everyone gasped.

"What? But I thought . . ." began Joe, but Ken interrupted him.

"I did have other clothes, but I don't dare go back to the boarding house, not now. Besides, he only got me a few nasty things. I only wore them so I could get these clothes cleaned."

Hardy Boys -2: Secret of the Old MillOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara