partners in crime

Marie's POV

My heart hammered against my rib cage. Suffocating had probably been my biggest fear ever since and I was once again experiencing the horrifying feeling. If only I could fast forward at least, so I wouldn't have to feel it. This was it. This was how I was going to die.
That was when I heard loud banging, seemingly from inside my closet, then the splintering of wood and someone cursing.
The next thing I knew, was that Lissa was standing behind Malice, with a knife pressed to Malice's throat.
"If you do what I tell you, I won't hurt you," Lissa said in a low, intimidating voice.
"Let go of her, Malice, and give her the asthma spray."
But Malice didn't move a muscle.
"God, you really are a waste of space," Lissa cursed angrily and punched Malice in the face, knocking her out momentarily.
Then she came to my aid and gave me the inhaler, while tenderly holding me in her arms.

With shaking fingers I inhaled deeply, slowly calming myself down. But the shock still lingered and I couldn't stop my body from shivering.
Lissa hugged me and we stayed like that for a while, until I eventually stopped shivering.
"You really have an enormous talent to almost get yourself killed," Lissa pointed out.
"I guess so."
In need to hold onto something, I took her hand and she gently pressed mine.
I still couldn't believe what had just happened. And no matter how I thought it through, I couldn't figure out a possible reason as to why Malice had done that. It was human to have at least some kind of motive before doing terrible things, right? So she must've had one. Did she secretly hate me? The thought made a coldness spread in my chest.
"Why did she do that?" I said, thinking out loud.
"I don't know," was all that Lissa said.
"What do you mean you don't know?"
"Simply that I don't know."
"Really ? I thought you were going to say it's because she's evil."
She frowned and shook her head.
"I don't think it's that easy. Humans are complex, well some more than others, but still...."
There was a short break of silence between us, but I felt more restless than ever, like there was a raging storm inside me, that I needed to conceal.
"You were right," I whispered.
Instead of answering me, Lissa continued to stare into the darkness.
"That's what you want to hear, isn't it?"
She turned her head abruptly, like I had snapped her out of her thoughts, her eyes a blue fire. It felt like they resembled the storm I felt inside.
"Is that what you think?" She asked with a somewhat monotone voice.
"Well, I'm right, aren't I?"
She let go of my hand and stood up.
"No! No, you're not right, Marie! I don't know what image you have of me, but you should get it fixed!"
She ran a hand through her hair and turned away from me. It seemed like she was crying. Just as I thought about comforting her, she spun around again.
"I get it, okay?! I fucking get it! She was like a mother to you and you trusted her and if I was you, I think I would've done the same."
She was interrupted by violent sobs shaking her small body and I immediately got up, wanting to embrace her, but she pushed me away.
"D-don't touch me!"
With her left hand, she wiped away her tears and I could see the desperation within her eyes as clear as day.
"Lately I feel so lonely inside myself and there's nothing I can do about it," she whispered, staring at the floor.
What she had said, made me feel a bit helpless, so I just waited for her to continue.
"I've often been alone when I was younger. To be honest, I actually enjoyed it, because other people scared me.....still do sometimes. However, when I met you, things suddenly changed. For some reason, I wasn't scared of you and I opened up."
She sighed. "I don't want to say, that I regret it, because I certainly don't, but I'd just wish you could do the same, because the way you keep on pushing me away, hurts more than I can say."
She raked a hand through her messy blonde curls.
"To your question - I don't want you to tell me I was right. I'm not mad that you didn't believe me either, but I just would've wished, that you had at least listened to me."
I was left completely speechless about her heartbreaking monologue and I didn't have the slightest clue on how to act.
The whole time I had been so engulfed in my own feelings, I didn't shed a single thought on how she felt, because she seemed so calm and collected compared to me.
"I'm sorry, I didn't know this was how you felt.  In fact, I thought of it as a good thing, that I didn't open up to you about how I felt, to shelter you from my feelings, I didn't want to weigh you down," I said quietly, feeling insecure.
Lissa stared at me for a moment, before shaking her head.
"You're such an idiot," she mumbled, but her lips formed into a small smile. "Also, now would be a good time to hug me," she added and I returned her smile, stepping closer to her and pulling her into a tight hug.
"We should probably do something about her, before she wakes up," I pointed out with a side glance at Malice.
"Right," Lissa said and we parted again. "You go on this side and I'll just grab her by the feet."

I did as she said and we carried Malice down the hallway.
"Why does this feel like we're trying to get rid of a corpse?"
Lissa just shook her head, stating: "You have a dark mind." But after a moment she added: "Though I think we'd make good partners in crime."
"Is that so?" I asked, staring deeply into her eyes, suddenly feeling the intense urge to kiss her.
"Yes....why do you look at me like you're planning to devour me?" She asked nervously.
"I don't know what you mean." I let go of Malice and she hit the floor rather roughly.
Then I walked around her unconscious body towards Lissa.
As I stood right in front of her, I let my fingers travel through her honey blonde curls, taking in the whole sight of her, from her sapphire eyes to her freckles, her mouth slightly agape, her lips - pink and shiny - obviously coated in lipgloss.
I shook my head in amusement.
"Honestly?"
"What?"
"It's in the middle of the night, we're both a mess, no one can see us, still you care to wear lipgloss?"
"Uhm, yea. It's 8 hour long lasting lipgloss."
"Long lasting, huh?"
I tilted her head up slightly and licked across her bottom lip.
"Mmm... it tastes like artificial strawberry."
"Thought you didn't like sweets?"
"This is an exception, obviously."
I traced a finger over her freckles.
"God, I'm such a mess tonight, completely driven by impulse. My feelings are all over the place," I remarked.
"That's fine, just let it out," Lissa said with lustful eyes.
And that was all I needed to hear to let go of my remaining self control.
With a swift movement I pinned her against the wall and kissed her roughly, letting my tongue roam her mouth in a somewhat possessive way. At first she was a bit taken aback by the extent of my burning passion, with which I had initiated the kiss, but soon after, she kissed me back with just as much passion.
She tangled her fingers in my hair and tugged on it and I felt the need to have her so much closer. Apart from that, our height difference was starting to get distracting.
So I picked her up, taking a firm hold of her thighs and she wrapped her legs around my waist.
With that we continued our makeout session and I noticed, how much I had missed the way she could make me feel. How the mere sight of her could tempt me, how her words could distract me and that everything that went further than looking and talking was almost too much, still never enough, like a rush, a drug. Tenderly I bit her lip and then deepened our kiss again. Oh, how I craved that lightheaded feeling, this certain weakness in the knees, skipping heartbeat and - this never-ending longing.
Then Lissa broke our kiss.
"Is something wrong?"
"Uh, no," she spoke breathlessly. "But, uhm, Malice - she's trying to escape."
"Oh."
Carefully I let her down again and we focused our attention on Malice again, who was currently crawling over the floor, in an attempt to get away. Lissa must've hit her hard, I thought appreciatively, then scolding myself for thinking like that.
"I'm taking back what I said earlier," Lissa mentioned, giggling. "We'd make awful partners in crime."

like honey but poisonedOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara