"Are you okay, baby?" Lucas asked as I coughed.

"You taste like saltwater," I croaked, and he laughed.

"Maybe we should save some of that stuff for later, when we're not in the middle of the ocean," Lucas chuckled and I shook my head, smiling.

"I just wanted to be one of those hot girls, you know? I should've known it never would've worked out in my favor." Lucas ran his fingers through my wet hair.

"You're plenty hot," he said. I leaned in to kiss him but he turned away. "No way. I'm not having you cough into my mouth."

I laughed and pecked him on the lips. There. Now we both got what we wanted, I thought to myself.

Lucas released his grip on my waist and started messing around with Darwin. I joined in, and the three of us splashed around and played for hours.

The sun was starting to set when I saw three figures on the beach walking towards us. I could tell that there were two men and one woman, but other than that, their figures were shadowy. I didn't know who they were until they spoke.

"Lucas! Shelby!" Jonathan called. "We have dinner reservations in an hour! Get out of the ocean and go fix yourselves up!" I frowned, but Lucas waved goodbye to Darwin and scooped me up in his arms.

In the midst of our splashing around, we had inched closer to the shore and were able to stand in the water. Lucas carried me over to Jonathan, Tony, and Lonnie before setting me down on the sand.

"Did you two have fun?" Lonnie asked considerately. I nodded and Lucas grinned.

"Tons," he said.

"Well, we're all meeting at the Oyster for dinner because Jonathan here made reservations," Tony said. "And they're in an hour so you two should go dry yourselves off and meet us there."

"Will do, sir!" I saluted in a joking manner. I picked up my dress and sandals before grabbing Lucas' wrist and leading him back to our room.

•••

"I don't know what to wear!" I groaned as I sifted through my suitcase.

"Can I help?" Lucas asked, kneeling beside me.

"I need something fancy, but not too fancy."

"What about that one?" Lucas pointed to my shiny silver cocktail dress.

"Alrighty then," I smiled.

"I'll go change in the bathroom this time," Lucas took his button down shirt and dress pants into the bathroom and shut the door. I slipped out of my wet bikini and into the dress, and I was finishing my hair and makeup when Lucas came out of the bathroom.

"You're stunning," he gazed at me in awe.

"And you clean up nicely yourself," I grinned, walking towards him and toying around with the collar on his shirt. Lucas and I looked at each other for a long while before he spoke.

"I almost forgot," he said, turning away from me and walking over to the bathroom. I could tell that he was reaching into the pocket of his swim trunks. He came back over to me and took my hand, holding it open. He dropped something into my hand, and when I looked down I saw that it was a beautiful silver necklace.