Vera turned and sighed. Like she needed something like that to happen, now that she was powerless and mad at her werewolves.

"Did somebody kidnap her?" asked Hamish approaching Vera and Maddox.

"They better kill her while they can" whispered Jack to himself - but loud enough for the others to hear - thinking of all the problems Kepler has caused to the Order for the last couple of weeks.

"Mr Morton! Shall I remind you not to open your big mouth to say something that stupid in front of a little boy?" replied Vera between her teeth. She was now right in front of him, somehow making sure Maddox was not able to hear what she was saying.

"Yeah, sorry" replied Jack.

"Why don't you get yourself a glass of water and go sit in the main room?" suggested the Grand Magus to Maddox, escorting him outside of her office.

"Here" she says handing a glass of water to the boy. "You can sit there; I won't be long" she added walking back to her office. But she was stopped by a little voice.

"Where will I go if something's happened to aunt Bitsy?". Hearing those words, she felt bad for the child she has known since he was born.

"We'll get her back. But for now, you will go home with me" she replied unsure of what she was proposing. "If that's ok with you of course".

To her surprise, the little boy gave her a faint smile and answered a small "Okay" before taking a sip of water.

"Good". Vera was not really fantasizing about having to babysit Edward's kid, but she couldn't let him by himself until they find Kepler. That was the least she could do for the poor kid. She kept her eyes on him for a minute or two, making sure he was doing okay and she returned to her office, closing the door behind her.

"What are you gonna do with him?" asked Hamish.

"For now? Nothing" she replied quickly.

"I need you to find Elizabeth Kepler" she then said raising her gaze to look at both Hamish and Jack.

"No"

"Excuse me?" she said offended by Jack's answer.

"You wouldn't help us, why should we do it?

- Because I am still the one giving the orders" argued Vera like she was being threatened.

"Plus, why should we help Kepler, the one that made your life turn into a living Hell for the past few months?" wanted to know Hamish.

"You too?!" sighed Vera, hurt by the fact Hamish would defintely not support her on this one. 

"You don't get me correctly. If we don't find out what happened to Kepler, that's my head on the stick you'll have in a couple of days. No matter who did this, all councilors will hold me responsible for her disappearance or death" explained Vera quite annoyed but also sounding scared.

"Promise me you'll help us if we fiund out what happened to her" demanded Jack.

"Are you blackmailing me?!

- Sounds more like a negotiation than blackmail Magus" told Hamish, hoping to calm her down a little bit. 

"Call it whatever you want, those are my terms" replied Jack locking his eyes to Vera's.

His attitude was driving her to despair, but what could she do? She was powerless and actually being almost ridiculous in front of two werewolves decided to obtain what they were looking for. No, Vera Stone was not the kind to give up on fights, but here she was, finding no other solutions out of this mess.

"You won Mr Morton. But I want Kepler back before we start any incantations. And no incantations or magic experiences outside of these doors and without telling me. Do I make myself clear?".

Both werewolves nodded.

"Thank you" said Jack. "What are you going to do with Maddox?" he then asked, obviously because he was caring about the boy.

"I don't know yet" replied Vera.

"Okay, let me know if he needs anything". After pronouncing those words, Jack left the office leaving Hamish and Vera alone.

"You're gonna take him home with you, aren't you?" asked Hamish seeing Vera's concerned look.

"Do I have any other choice?" she sighed.

"Thank you for accepting to help us" he said meaning every word of it.

"Well, you werewolves kind of forced me into accepting this deal, didn't you?

- Look I know that you feel hurt right now because I didn't take your side on this one, but you don't have to live it as a betrayal. I told you I shouldn't have to choose between my friend and my integrity

- Well, it looks like you've made your choice" she cut him off giving him a look.

"You get the right to be mad at me Vera but don't push me away because you're scared

- I don't need your pity" she replied diving her blue eyes into his. He could see how hurt she was, but yet he couldn't do anything because he was the reason of she was in that position. Plus, she was not the kind of woman to just admit her fears and weaknesses, not even to him.

"I'm sorry". That's all he said before leaving the Temple in search for Kepler.