Communication is Key

The sound of the window opening jarred the brunet from his sleep. Whatever it had been that made the noise, he was too tired to investigate, so he settled for gently shaking the other awake. "Mn.. y/n.. someone opened the window.."

     No response. He squeezed the male's arm, noting how soft and pliant it was. He sat up, pulling away the covers. He'd been shaking and squeezing a pillow. Mild panic set in as he started searching for y/n, increasing as he finished searching the house. Absolutely no where. He checked outside, the car was still parked in the garage and the streets were dead silent.

     Worst case scenarios raced through his mind as he ran back in and picked up the phone to call the police. He was interrupted by the creak of the floorboard, reminding him of the open window. Great, first his maybe boyfriend disappears and now he has to deal with a robbery. He'd remembered some wise words a friend had mentioned once, "just grab a bat and beat the shit out of em." Of course that friend was in jail now, but this was a self defense situation.

     Another creak. He grabbed the lamp on the dresser and turned, ready to, as the kids say, vibe check the perpetrator. His eyes widened as he heard a familiar chuckle. He slowly lowered his lamp and loosened up. "Y/n?" He squinted as the lights were switched on, relief slowly flooding his body. He straightened up and awkwardly cleared his throat, putting the lamp down. "Sorry, I didn't know it was you." Y/n laughed and made his way over, giving Tom a head pat. "Sorry for the sudden disappearance, I must've scared you." He said as gently ran his fingers through the other's hair, smiling as a blush became visible on Tom's face. "I wasn't scared! Anyways, where did you go?"

     Y/n shrugged "Just on the roof." and gently pushed the other down to bed, tucking him in. "You should go back to sleep little baby." He mumbled as he kissed Tom's forehead. "Nuh uh, I wanna come."

     "Really? I could give you a quick blowj-"

     "No- Idiot- I mean I wanna come with you."

     He raised an eyebrow. "It's not much of an adventure, I'm just sitting on the roof." The brunet huffed and pouted, narrowing his eyes. Y/n laughed a bit. "Fine fine, you can come along." He got up and lead the other out of the room, closing the light and making his way down the hall to the window. He climbed out, pulling the other along and sitting on a roof tile. Tom huddled close, nervously glancing down at the ground as the other stared up at the moon. "Uhh, why do you come up here anyway?"

     "You don't like it?"

     "I do! It's just really high and all-"

     "But.. you're Spiderman!" Y/n joked, nudging him lightly. Tom quickly clung to him, eyes wide as he looked down. "Don't do that!" He angrily hissed, making the other laugh a bit. He layed back, staring up at the sky as the brunet lay next to him.

     "The moon's pretty tonight." He mumbled, watching the moonlight contour the cloud's edges. Tom stared at him. "Are you alright?" "I'm fine."

     A gentle breeze swept through the leaves of the trees, leaving a quiet rustle to echo through the night. Tom cuddled up to the other for warmth, watching him with concern. "I'm here for you, y'know? In case you're upset.."

     Y/n sighed in sync with the wind, looking away. "I know. I'd rather not talk about anything. Not at this moment anyway."

     Tom nodded in understanding and turned his gaze towards the moon. "Does the moon remind you of anyone?"

     "Yeah, my ex."

     Awkward silence fell over the both of them, the brunet trying to come up with words of sympathy. He'd seen this before in that one show, Avatar the Last Airbender. Though it seemed impossible, he wasn't going to be insensitive and question the man's relationship with the moon.

     "I'm sorry about that- They must've been a good person-"

      "The best. So loving and sweet, he'd never do anything wrong. Unfortunately things got complicated and.. well.."

      "He turned into the moon?"

      Y/n turned to him and gave him an incredulous look. "Well- I should hope not? He just had to go his own way, but like-" He turned his head back towards the moon. Tom kissed his cheek and rubbed it comfortingly. "I'm sorry, that was a terrible joke. And I hope one day you guys can be friends."

      Another cold gust of wind blew through the trees. He startled a bit when he felt the other's arms wrap around his waist, pulling him close. "It was a good joke, don't worry. I'm sure he'd be doing better as the moon anyway."

     Tom smiled at him, carding his fingers through his hair. "Why'd you two break up?"

     "I wasn't treating him very well, I'll be honest. Too caught up in myself and my job, and he felt really alone." Y/n sighed and stared at him. "I'm scared. What if I'm neglectful towards you? I think you should.." He sighed, unable to finish his sentence. It'd only been a few days yet he felt so attached, telling him to leave felt like throwing away water in the middle of a desert.

     "Y/n.. it's not your fault. Well I mean technically, in a broader vision, it is your fault."

     "Thanks, that made me feel way better."

     "Shuuush I'm not finished." Tom put a finger to his lips and huffed. "You two lacked communication and time. Setting a firm schedule and communicating your problems would've helped, and it wouldn't have been your fault." He sighed, resting his head on his shoulder. "I promise, I won't leave you. If you ever feel like things are getting complicated, we can talk them out."

     Y/n sighed as well, closing his eyes and smiling just a bit. "I'm glad I have you. Even though you threw up on me at the bar."

     "Hey! Don't bring that up now!"

     He snorted and started laughing, the other reluctantly joining in. "God.. you're an idiot." "Your idiot~" "Shush, don't think you can get out of this with sweet words."