“No. It must be Lan Xinyu griping about me behind my back!” said Ling Chuxi with certainty. She cradled Little White tightly in her arms and added cheerfully, “I couldn’t possibly catch a cold with Little White warming my bed every night.”

“Still, it’s better to be careful in every regard.” Ling Yichen turned to look back at Lan Xinyu standing a long way behind them, unmoving from where they had originally left her. There was slight concern in his voice as he continued, “I think she will definitely find ways to cause trouble for you however and whenever she can. She has a monster beast with strong cultivation techniques so you should be careful.”

Ling Chuxi’s lips curled into a sneer. “Really? She should bring it on then. Let’s see how peerless this peerless genius truly is.”

Ling Yichen’s expression softened as he began to speak his next words, “I will—” However, Ling Chuxi cut him off happily before he could finish what he was going to say.

“Yichen, look! Roasted chestnuts coated with sugar! Quick, let’s try some. We can order two servings to start with. One and a half portions for me and a half portion for you,” whispered Ling Chuxi gleefully as she looked at the cart selling roasted chestnuts.

Ling Yichen gave her a feeble smile and resignedly trudged off to buy the roasted chestnuts, swallowing the words he had meant to say: “I will protect you.”

Chapter 72: Life and Death is Your Own Responsibility

Ling Yichen wordlessly passed the pack of sugar-coated roasted chestnuts to Ling Chuxi. Ling Chuxi put Little White on her shoulders, then quickly took the pack from Ling Yichen and began to peel the chestnuts. Just as she was about to pop the one she had finished peeling into her mouth, a fair and slender hand reached out and snatched it away.

“Hey!” cried Ling Chuxi angrily. She whipped her head around to glare at the person who dared steal her food away from her, only to see Mu Liufeng casually toss the chestnut he had stolen into his mouth.

“You’re such a disrespectful person!” barked Ling Chuxi in annoyance at Mu Liufeng. She had to denounce his bad behavior despite him being her master. That was her chestnut that she had laboriously peeled with her own two hands!

“You wicked disciple! If your master partakes in your food, that means he is seeing you as someone worthy of sharing meals with,” retorted Mu Liufeng candidly. Needless to say, he didn’t feel that snatching away his own disciple’s food was something to be ashamed of.

“Teacher Mu,” greeted Ling Yichen respectfully. He had naturally guessed at the identity of the chestnut-stealing man who stood before him and Ling Chuxi. Mu Liufeng was a name he had heard spoken in many a discussion before, but this was his first time seeing the man behind the name in person. At first impression, there didn’t seem to be anything remarkable about him aside from his set of very charming eyes.

“Hmm,” snorted Mu Liufeng by way of recognizing Ling Yichen’s greeting. For Mu Liufeng, this was considered a courteous response.

“Do you have any advice for the upcoming training, master?” questioned Ling Chuxi as she peeled a chestnut. She popped the chestnut into her mouth the second she finished peeling it, fearful of Mu Liufeng stealing it away again.

“Nope,” replied Mu Liufeng offhandedly. After a giving Ling Chuxi’s question more of a brief thought, he added, “If you die then you deserve it.”

Ling Chuxi’s lips twitched. What kind of master was this?!

“I have other matters to attend to, so, later.” Mu Liufeng threw out a cavalier goodbye before floating away. Literally. Even up to this point, Ling Chuxi had yet to deduce his level of cultivation.