Chapter 7

Lucy looked at her reflection in the dirty mirror of the orphanage bathroom. She touched the turquoise fabric of her dress, barely allowing herself to believe that it was real.

She had gone to the dress charity late one night, hesitant and reserved. The most formal thing she owned was a pair of black pants that another girl had outgrown. Even those were a little short on her.

But as soon as the owner saw her, she took Lucy under her wing. They dug through dresses until Lucy pulled this one out from the very back. It was strapless, with a tulle skirt that fell just above her knees. It fit perfectly.

She had pulled her hair away from her face into a high bun. Her days of hiding her flaming hair were over. It was a part of who she was.

Her shoes she had borrowed from an older girl at the orphanage. They were silver sandals with a very high heel. She was surprised by how natural they felt.

She had spent her whole life trying to blend in or be the girl that other people wanted, but as she looked at herself in the mirror, she realized that tonight she would do anything but. She was herself: wild and unapologetic.

She stepped out into the night and saw him waiting. He smiled as soon as he saw her, taking her in. She walked toward him. She would have thought he was attractive even dressed as a hobo, but there was something about the suit he was wearing that made it so difficult to take her eyes off him.

He walked toward her, holding something in his hand.

"Turn around." He said. She felt something around her neck. She looked down and saw a pink necklace. It went perfectly with her dress. She turned to him.

"Thank you." She smiled.

He offered her his arm, and together they walked to the school.

As they walked into the gymnasium, she noticed people looking at her.  She started to avert her eyes to the floor, but then she caught Gru's eyes.  She held her head up, proud to be here with him.

The music started and they danced their hearts out.  Then a slow song came on, and he pulled her to him.

"I love you, Lucy." He whispered to her.

Her heart jumped out of her chest.  He loved her.

"And I love you." She said.  She laid her head on his shoulder as they swayed to the music together.