Chapter 3

“The United States, eh?” I could practically hear the smile on Mum’s face. Today I’m going shopping with Niall and the girls to set up for the rager, and I figured I should call up my mum and tell her about the bucket list. She’s been begging me to go home and live with her for the rest of the year, so I figured this is probably going to be hard on her that I’ll be even farther away. “That sounds exciting.”

“Really? You’re okay with me going there?” I furrowed my brows before switching hands with my cellphone and placing it to my other ear.

She made a ‘tsk’ noise with her tongue before replying, “Well, of course I am. Harry, as much as I want you here with me, I’m just happy you’re not laying in your bed moping anymore.”

“Gee thanks,” I said sarcastically, making her laugh. Little does she know, I’m lying in bed right now in only a pair of boxers because I’ve been pouting all morning about my short and pathetic life.

“You just have to promise you’ll come visit me for two months, maybe three, or all of them,” she rambled. I’m not surprised she’d try begging me once more; she’s a very stubborn lady. “I’m sure Mandy would love to see you too,” she added.

Mandy Kane is Ada’s mum. I’m not sure if I could handle being in the same room as her anymore. It’s not her fault or anything, it’s just that Ada looked so much like her. They shared the same sandy blonde hair, the same big brown eyes, and the same golden tan skin. Ada was an exact replica of her mother, the only difference being her younger appearance.

Although I have seen Ada once, I haven’t seen her since. I’m convinced that hallucination was a onetime thing, but I find myself feeling sad about that. Hallucination or not, I still should’ve apologized and told her how much I love her. Maybe seeing her makes me crazy, but so be it. I miss her every damn day, and those big brown eyes visit me every damn night in my sleep, usually resulting in a nightmare of the crash replaying over and over again. It should never have been her who died. She didn’t deserve this.

“Harry? Hello? Are you there?”

“Huh?” I shook my head free of those thoughts. “Oh, sorry. Yeah, I should definitely go see her.” Maybe.

“I know it’s hard, Harry.” I rolled my eyes, knowing this is where she’s going to pity me like everyone else. I’m getting tired of all the sympathy that I don’t deserve. “But you have to remember she’s going through a rough time too. Plus, you’re like a son to her, so the loss is larger.”

“Okay, I get it Mum,” I sighed. “I know.”

“I’m sorry.” Apologies don’t help either. “Just promise you’ll come visit me, Mandy, and Gemma. You can’t expect to ditch your family,” she joked, but I knew she was only half-kidding.

I laughed, “I won’t. I promise I’ll come see you guys. When I can’t walk around much anymore, I expect you and Gem to be my own personal servants.”

“Ha, ha,” she laughed sarcastically. “You’re hilarious. The thing is, I will be your maid, nurse, and butler, and I’ll be completely happy to do it.”

“Shocker,” I joked. Just then, a knock was sounded on my door, and Niall entered my room. “Hey, Mum. I have to go.”

“Alright. I love you, Harold. You better call again sometime soon.”

“I will. Love you too. Bye.” I pulled the phone away from my ear and clicked the “End Call” button before looking up at Niall with raised eyebrows. “Why do you even knock if you’re just gonna barge right in?”

He shrugged, “It’s my place too. I will do as I please.”

I shook my head as I scooted my body into a sitting position, my legs hanging over the edge of the bed as the bottoms of my feet rest on the carpet. “What do you want, Niall?”