Chapter 9 || Powers II

Comenzar desde el principio

"Er- yeah..." River imagined how stupid she would look running around aimlessly in circles like a clueless chicken. 

Obviously the others thought the same- Aryan leaned back and let out a loud snort of amusement while Blade smirked openly. 

She shot them both daggers with her eyes. "Okay," she took a deep breath and began running. No newfound power came to her, no sudden burst of speed.

 She only felt herself starting to get tired from running. 

"Definitely not, I've seen snails run faster!" Aryan called out. 

River slowed down and glared at him, panting and huffing. He grinned.

"Okay, he's right, probably not speed," Esther seemed to be keeping in a chuckle. 

"Levitation is pretty easy. Just imagine yourself lifting off the floor. I'm a Levitator myself and I find that closing my eyes helps a lot." 

River did not like the idea of her standing in front of all those people with her eyes closed, but she did it anyway. 

After a few seconds, she decided it was enough.

"Nope, definitely not," she concluded. 

"Ah, well... next power then," Esther looked slightly disappointed. 

"Electricity is the same. You just have to will it to happen. Just- if you do, then please do not aim it at us. It's probably better if you're facing the wall," she added. 

River did as she was told, pointing her hands at the wall and feeling particularly foolish. 

"Yeah, I don't think I have that power," she said after a few minutes. 

"Well then... fire is our next stop. Turn towards the wall again," Esther said. 

A sense of foreboding crept up on River's body. She did not want an evil power.

Helplessly turning towards the wall, she directed her palms and willed herself to produce fire. 

She shut her eyes and after a minute or two, nothing happened. 

She let her hands down, relieved. She was sure she must have imagined it, but all the others looked relieved as well. 

"Okay, well that's settled then!" Esther walked back to the table and River followed.

Blade got up. "I'll take care of this next one," and he drew a flashlight out of his pocket. 

He turned it on. "Put your hands underneath," he said and took a hold of her hands.

A chill spread through her back and she felt a faint tingling, but she firmly ignored them and thought of Jack.

 In the corner of her eyes, she thought she could see Aryan staring hard at her and Blade's hands together.

She shook her hands away from Blade. "I can do this myself," she snapped and put a hand underneath the light. 

"Hear, let me show you," Blade said and promptly put his hand under the light and started controlling it. A beam of light shone directly into her eyes.

 "Show off," she muttered as she rubbed her eyes. "Lemme try," she huffed and tried again but kept producing fruitless results.

"How do you do this?" She said helplessly. 

Blade laughed and pulled her in closer. "It's probably just not your power," he murmured, holding her in tightly so she could hear his every whisper clearly.