the one with cedric diggory

“Part of her mystery was
how she was calm in
the storm and anxious
in the quiet.”

IT WAS ONE OF those days.

Hagrid had returned. And the situation with giants was revealed. Salazar's Army had been progressing with offensive spells now, and I had convinced everyone to read on Patronuses and other NEWT level spells essential for a duel. The DA, now called Phoenix Organization, was moving in its own pace as harry led it forward.

Not everyone from Gryffindor or Hufflepuff or Ravenclaw believed Voldemort was back, but almost everyone in Slytherin did. They had heard from hushed conversations in their living rooms that were quickly changed to something more acceptable as they came. They had seen their known people brandishing the dark mark and there were too many secret meetings they weren't allowed to be in. They knew and they were scared.

It was one of those days where the urge to just give everything up and take the time turned to go back to the orphanage was just too much.

I hated it there. But it was home. And it was safe. And I didn't have a Target on my back. And I didn't have so many lives depending on mine.

I was tagged a child of Death Eaters. Umbridge was after my ass. The world didn't trust me at all. It still had reason to trust Harry—Boy Who Lived and all. But me? No reason. No one even knew about my part in the Prophecy. No one cared. I was a child of Death Eaters with a strange magic. No one believed me. No one was likely to believe me.

It was one of those days where I was sitting next to the fireplace, watching the life move forward without really feeling like caring. People came and went. Classes happened. Homeworks were done and more decrees went up to the walls. It wasn't a good thing but to see some things happen the way they were supposed to. Where I could anticipate the next move. Where I could know that nothing bad was happening anytime soon.

But October had gone by with a whisk of butterbeer and falling leaves and November had come with the cold brisk winds. And it wasn't long until Mr. Weasley would be attacked at the Ministry. And I couldn't think of a way to make him not go to the office that night.

Some things are inevitable, right? Like drifting away from people or losing someone to a swish of the wand. Some things happen no matter what you do to stop them. Despite my best efforts and running around last year, Sirius Black was still a on the run criminal and Barty Crouch Sr. was dead. Some things just happened.

Not that his death mattered to me much. It was important because it was my trial run. I thought if I could save him, I had a chance. I thought I lost that chance. I thought everyone would die. But then I saved Cedric. So there has to be a chance. But at what cost? He didn't believe my intentions were good. He didn't even look at me when we left Hogwarts. Fucked. Truly.

And then, there was a pop next to me and I looked, unfazed.

"Dobby is sorry if he scared Skylar Firegold miss," the little free elf said,"but I'm afraid someone is here to see her."

"You didn't scare me, Dobby. Who is here to see me?" I asked, standing up and straightening out my shirt.

"Dobby believes it's Master Cedric Diggory, miss. The boy who came second in the Tournament last year."

"Cedric," I said as I entered the courtyard. He was standing there gazing the the buildings around him. He was wearing a huge trench coat that covered most of him, except I noticed his hair hadn't changed a bit. It was still that honey colored mess, just the way it was in school.