241 - 245

Chapter 241 Guilty, Returning To The Capital Without Approval

The news of Long Heng's return spread throughout the capital within moments. Many congregated around the palace to see this hero of theirs because he'd crushed the enemy and flattened almost every single enemy camp. This was precisely what Long Heng wanted. In the past, he never really cared about other people's opinions of him since he was only focused on his responsibilities as a military man. But he now had to do his share of scheming in order to protect his family.

"That's odd. Why is Prince Li here when he has almost conquered the enemy nation?"

"Are you blind? Didn't you see the amount of gold tokens in front of him? It's obvious that the emperor has summoned him back for an emergency."

"But why did the emperor summon him back? Have they decided to stop the war? We're so close to conquering the enemy nation and claiming their land."

"Who knows? The emperor made a very strange decision indeed."

"Yes, that is true."

Long Heng led the troops on horseback with a gentle smile on his face. The emperor didn't want Long Heng to conquer the enemy nation as he was afraid that Long Heng might suddenly take over the border and proclaim himself as an emperor of that land. With plenty of good generals and large number of soldiers, it wouldn't be difficult for him to march back and snatch the emperor's seat from the current emperor. It was impossible for those women to be able to manipulate him into summoning Long Heng back if he hadn't been considering those things.

Morning court would've normally ended by this hour, but the emperor was still meeting with his officials in court. The ministers were all surprised when they saw Long Heng appear. Minister Lin was one who looked the most surprised among the ministers. Like a girl, he covered his mouth with his hand and pretended he was trying to protect the emperor. "How insolent! Long Heng! Why did you return to the capital when you should be on the battlefield!"

Without any signs of panic, Long Heng immediately bowed to the emperor, "This loyal subject has returned as ordered by His Majesty."

"Oh? When did I order your return?" The emperor was a man in the prime of his life in his thirties. He'd inherited the royal family's good looks, making him giving him the dignified air of a ruler even without anger.

Long Heng replied respectfully. "After receiving fifteen gold tokens in a row, this loyal subject rushed back to the capital without any delay as I was afraid that I might disrupt Your Majesty's responsibilities."

"How can this be?! I have never issued any gold tokens to anybody." The emperor responded with a faint smile. He'd ordered the emissaries to secretly destroy the gold tokens so Long Heng wouldn't be able keep any of them. However, he'd just received news that Long Heng had brought some gold tokens with him. Did he murder every single one of the emissaries? There wasn't any gold tokens on him when he arrived in the city. Long Heng you bastard! You're unexpectedly good at getting out of these kinds of situations.

I can't believe he managed to escape from even this plot, despite my intricate planning. I've underestimated him. This man will surely become my downfall sooner or later. A cold glint immediately formed on the emperor's face with such thoughts, but there wasn't a hint of anger to be seen. This much was due to the dignity of his identity as the emperor.

"But this loyal subject has definitely received the gold tokens and royal decree. Does Your Majesty wish to see them?"

"Oh? Of course." He actually managed to get his hands on the royal decree as well? Didn't I tell them repeatedly to destroy that as well? These people are too unreliable. Fortunately, this problem can easily be solved by denying everything and pin everything on a scapegoat.