family dinner

↬ 25 ↫

There were a lot of things in life that Mike didn't understand— like how cars are able to park themselves, why time goes by so quickly as we sleep or how in the world you were supposed to do long division. Seriously, why is that even a thing?

But of all things, he was so incredibly clueless as to how he ever started his days alone, how he ever woke up without El Hopper by his side and was able to function properly. She was like the boost of energy he needed to get his day going, like any other person's daily cup of coffee, only stronger and much more addicting.

He still couldn't believe the effect she had on him, how just the sight of her sleeping so peacefully beside him as she was doing now was enough to deem his whole day perfect. And it only got better once he finally woke her up with kisses scattered all over her face, kisses that she eventually returned and grew more heated as the minutes passed.

That is, until El suddenly pulled away from him with a squeal and sadly put an end to all their fun.

"Shoot!" She shouted, nearly falling to the ground as she got out of bed. "I'm gonna be so late!"

Mike couldn't resist laughing as she scrambled around the room, searching through random piles of clothes for something to wear.

"Relax, you have plenty of time." He assured her, attempting to ease her worries. She was still moving around the room so frantically though, it was clear that he hadn't been much help.

"I would have plenty of time, if it weren't for you being so needy!" El argued, shooting him a playful glare over her shoulder.

Before he could say anything, she went right back to her search, quickly finding what she was looking for and disappearing off into the bathroom.

Mike laughed once more over the teasing accusation she had made toward him, as if she hadn't been 'needy' herself.

Really though, she wasn't necessarily wrong about her running behind being his fault. They heard her alarm go off, several times actually, yet he kept snoozing it and she was too distracted to even notice. Of course, he knew that she had somewhere to be, but he needed more time with her. He was far too comfortable with her wrapped up in his arms to just let her leave.

Luckily, he got to enjoy her for a few more minutes, before she finally escaped their little bubble and started bouncing around the room like a tornado.

"They're not going to lock the doors, you know? You'll make it on time, El." He told her, once she'd returned from the bathroom, now dressed and ready for the day.

"Let's hope." She sighed softly, attempting to slip her shoes on without losing her balance. "I'm already stressed enough about this exam as it is, I might just have a heart attack if I don't even get the chance to take it. Then I have that other one right after, which I know I could've studied more for."

"It'll all be fine, I promise. And just think, these are your two last exams to get through, then we'll be done for the entire summer."

It seemed that had done the trick in calming her down, the reminder enough to make her stop for a moment and shoot a warm smile his way. Forgetting all about the rush she was in, El came over and sat on the edge of the bed next to him.