walking sunshine

↬ 13 ↫

The sun and all its golden rays beamed down on El as she strolled down the sidewalk, making her way through downtown. She was currently on her way to the bookstore where Mike works, the excitement over seeing him nearly eating her alive at this point.

She had been out and about on her day off and since Mike got off soon, she figured she'd just stop by and surprise him.

She'd never actually been to this particular bookstore before, but she had passed by it enough to know exactly where it was.

Once she'd reached it, she walked right inside, the bell above the door dinging as she came in. 

The store was nice, much nicer than any other bookstore she'd been to. It had tall shelves lining each wall, holding more books than she'd ever seen. There were random chairs and couches set up all around the decent sized building, the faint smell of coffee also lingering in the air.

She wasn't too fond of the smell, but the place was incredibly cozy, so cozy that El might have just found herself a new place to study at. Of course that had nothing to do with the cute dark haired boy who happened to work there. 

El continued looking around, while making her way up to the counter, smiling politely as she approached the boy stood behind it. She hadn't seen him before, but had a pretty good idea of who he was.

"Hi, Dustin?"

"Yeah, I'm Dustin." He told her while looking completely confused as to how she knew his name. He eyed her warily, but one look over her and he had an idea of she was. "Let me guess, you're El?"

"How'd you know?"

"Mike says you have this sort of glow, like you're walking sunshine or something. I don't know exactly what kind of lovesick bullshit he said, but I can definitely see it when you smile, so I figured you had to be her."

El couldn't help the slight flush that spread across her cheeks, finding the way that Mike had described her to his friend to be rather flattering. No one had ever said such a thing about her, especially not to someone else.

"I'm assuming you're here to see him and not to buy a book, so I'll just go grab him. I think he's in the back sorting all the new shipments we got in."

"No, it's okay. I can wait." El shrugged, flashing another smile. "I've actually been wanting to meet you, so I can just talk to you until he gets done, if that's okay?"

"Wow. You know you're the only girl of Mike's that's ever actually showed any interest in me." He happily told her, the look on his face full of disbelief.

"Oh really? Has he, uh... has Mike had a lot of girlfriends?" El asked nervously, but Dustin was quick to shake his head, easing her sudden nerves.

"Definitely not, which is why this is such a big deal." He laughed, while walking around to join her on the other side of the counter.

"Well, from what I've learned so far you're great, so it's their loss." El assured him, bringing a wide grin to the boy's face. 

The two sat down in the nearest leather chairs, Dustin immediately diving off into an encounter he had with a customer just before El had arrived.

Apparently, the girl had come in asking for a certain book and of course, he took her to the section it was in. Once they'd gotten there though, the girl didn't utter another word, only staring at him like her eyes were literally stuck open. He swore she didn't blink a single time. She even kept quiet at the counter, when he rang her book up, only sending him an incredibly creepy smile before finally leaving the store.