Chapter One

"Welcome everyone to another wonderful year at Hogwarts! Welcome to our first years and those returning welcome back!" Dumbledore's voice reached the far back of the Great Hall where even the smallest of first years could have heard. "This year Id like to introduce a new addition to our faculty. Professor R. J. Lupin teaching Defense Against the Dark Arts!"

The group hiding just outside the large double doors waited patiently for their cue to enter. At the mention of Remus Lupin, a young woman with long dark hair opened the doors just a enough to see inside. Amidst the clapping, Professor Lupin stood and bowed his head to the children. His awkward nature knew no bounds. The thought made her smile and hold back a laugh.

So many familiar faces sat at the High Table, some were her old professors and some were her old classmates. Sybil Trelawney sat all the way to the left of the High Table, and Severus Snape with all of his scowling glory a few seats in, and them of course Remus Lupin. The most humble person she'd ever met and one of her brothers dearest friends. Her smile lingered as she took him in. His eyes grazed hers but didn't linger on her baby blues from behind the tiny crack in the door. But Dumbledore wasn't finished with his announcements just then, there was a spot at each house table that had yet to be filled . . .

"To acknowledge the elephant in the room, yes there are rumors of the escaped prisoner Sirius Black, and what he is after," Dumbledore's eyes flashed to the side and back so quickly she almost didn't catch it. "To ensure the safety of the school I have requested the service of a few well-known Aurors to guard the halls of Hogwarts so long as the search goes on for the Azkaban convict . . ."

"Easy Potter you'll get in soon enough," Elias teased from behind Cassiopeia.

Cassi turned to glare at her fellow Auror who was resting his elbow on their friends shoulder. She grabbed her wand from the holster on her hip and playfully pointed it at him, "Don't make me silence you Pest."

Elias arched a dark brow at her, a crooked smile adding to his already smug face, "Oh we're at the pet name stage? Why ever didn't you tell me? When I catch Black I'll have to find an equally suited name for you . . ." His lips bunched to the side in mock thought, "Sweet Peia?"

That made even their friend Milo cringe and shake off Elias' elbow from his shoulder. The disgust was obvious on Milos face but he would never say anything.

But oh the nerve of that little . . .

Hallie, a woman with white blonde hair and icy green eyes placed a hand on Cassi's shoulder, "Relax, he's just trying to get under your skin. Elias leave her alone," she scolded, "we're technically on duty."

Dumbledore's voice carried on, ". . . One Auror will protect one house. As Hogwarts alumni, they will guard their respecting houses. If anyone should see anything or feel in any danger seek one out and request help immediately. Beginning with Gryffindor, Auror Elias Davies!"

Elias sent Cassi a quick wink before opening the doors and joining his cheering table of students. He flipped his wand from the holster and shot a firework into the makeshift sky. The entire Great Hall went wild. He took his seat at the far end, nearest the High Table, blending in with the crowd flawlessly. It was his best trait as an Auror, anywhere he was, he belonged because he said so. So Gryffindor of him . . .

"Figures," Hallie agreed with Cassi's unspoken thought.

"As for Slytherin house, welcome Hallie Adams!"

As if it were a runway, Hallie strut to her seat with all the grace of an elf. She waved at her housemates and took her seat with modesty. Almost mocking Elias with her simple entrance.

Milo came to stand next to Cassi. His brown eyes cast forward and his stance calculated. She rarely ever saw Milo off guard, but often saw him nervous like he was then. A lot of attention bothered him, he preferred to observe.