s1 e16: "we're just having fun"

Start from the beginning

"excuse me?"

"mom" jackson warned, looking at kelsey.

"i mean to get married, to start a family. when are you going to have time to do all of that?"

"well i'm not looking to do any of that any time soon"

"but when the time comes what's gonna happen? you're saying you're gonna leave your husband to take care of the kids and the house?"

"n-no i'm not saying that at all i—"

"i'm not trying to overwhelm you, dear. i'm just saying. you're young. you're beautiful. don't overwork yourself" kelsey gave her a small smile before taking a sip of her drink.

"i'm gonna go to the bathroom" she said, looking at jackson before getting up and walking away.

"why?"

"i'm just trying to get to know the girl. so, tell me about plastics"

"mom, come on. i'm tired. and i don't want to spend all night trying to convince you it's a legitimate specialty"

"i'm asking you to share your interests. but since you don't want to talk about that we might as well talk about this girl you've been so love struck over" he looked down at his drink and smiled.

"well i'm that case, you can't do that"

"can't do what?"

"ask questions that you have no business asking. you did it with sloan today, too. you can't just ask her questions about kids and marriage. you're gonna run her away"

"sloan can take it. you're saying kelsey can't?"

"i like her. a lot. i don't want to start this" he said, looking in the direction of the bathroom for kelsey.

"i'm gonna meddle one more time"

"yeah. see, if only i could believe that, maybe we could talk—"

"are you in love with her?" she asked, moving the small stick with olives on it around her glass.

"we're not gonna talk about this" he said with a smile.

"ayiee!" she smiled, reaching for him. kelsey came back and sat the table, giving them both a small smile before looking down at her glass. jackson subconsciously smiled while drinking his drink.

"𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐖𝐀𝐍𝐓𝐄𝐃 𝐓𝐎 𝐒𝐄𝐄 𝐌𝐄 𝐂𝐇𝐄𝐈𝐅?"
kelsey asked as she walked into his office.

"livingston, yes. have a seat"

"is everything okay?"

"oh yes, yes. everything's fine. i just wanted to talk to you about chief resident"

"o-oh. those interviews were today? i thought those weren't for another few weeks" kelsey stammered as she sat up straight in her seat.

"no, no. this isn't the interview. i wanted to talk about you being the chief resident"

"really?" kelsey asked, a small smile creeping onto her face.

"yeah. i don't want you to run"

"what?" she whispered, her smile slowly dropping

"i don't want you to run for chief resident" he simply stated, shrugging his shoulders. "you're so committed to peds, and obstetrics, and neonatal. it's like you say to hell with all the other specialties"

"dr. webber, if this is about me not picking trauma or ortho as a specialty i thought we were far past that"

"oh yes, we are, we are. but that's not the reason i don't want you to run for chief resident"