Neville Longbottom

"You can do this Neville. At least you will know. No harm in asking. Maybe a hit towards your confidence. Be a lion, be a Gryffindor" he muttered to himself. Teetering side to side on his feet.

But then he raised his head filling himself with half concocted confidence.

"Hi" he spoke. But the group was too immersed with eachother to hear his quiet mutter.

"Y/N?" He said louder. That had the heads in the group turning.

Y/N said nothing but stood, somehow understanding he didn't want to make this a public affair. Her yellow Hufflepuff robes swaying after her.

They walked to some pillars in the courtyard far away enough to not be overheard. The group of Hufflepuffs that Y/N had previously been sat with were staring at the intently. Y/N turned to look at them seeing Neville's nervous expression. She shook her head at them and they immediately turned away.

"What did you need Neville?" She asked in a soft tone.

"W-w-would you got to the Yule ball with me?" He stuttered at first but got his sentence out none the less.

He closed his eyes waiting for the rejection. Why would someone want to go out to the ball with someone who had a massive red hand print on his face. His soulmate was going to slap him, when he had first got to Hogwarts he had looked for a spell that would hide the mark. But he ended up not casting the charm correctly and ended up in the hospital wing for 1 week recovering. He hadn't tried again since.

For a soulmate mark to disappear you have to have your soulmate touch that mark. It doesn't matter if it is skin to skin contact or touching through clothing.

"Of course I will go with you." Y/N responded.

"Really?" He exclaimed.

"Yeah, I am glad you asked in person most people have tried to ask through notes. I appreciate your confidence." She said softly, reassuring him and easing his nervous demeanour.

"You're welcome" he replied. After all his Grandmother had raised him with manners.

"I have to go to class now, my free period is over. But I will see you soon yeah? We can arrange when to meet and stuff like that?" She said smiling.

"Yeah" he responded.

***

Later in the Gryffindor dorm rooms he was practicing his dance steps. If he was to dance he wanted to be confident. Y/N was an amazing person and he didn't want to show her up by being a bad dancer.

"So how did it go man?" Dean asked, Seamus following swiftly after him. They both dropped onto the respective beds.

"She said yes" he said with elation.

"Good on you man" Seamus grinned.

***

He had met with Y/N earlier that week and they had arranged a meeting place. It was by the steps near the Great Hall.

Soon Y/N was coming down the stairs blue dress flowing behind her. Neville felt nervous rubbing his hands together, they were sweaty.

They both walked side by side into the hall.

"Would you like to dance?" Neville asked.

"I would be happy too" the both swept onto the floor.

He awkwardly put his hands on her waist. She could feel his hands shaking.

"Hey" she placed her hand on his face carefully "don't be nervous. I bet you're a good dancer" she states.

Then her eyes widened.

"What?" Neville asked.

"Your soulmate mark is gone, the hand print on your face" her voice said, an excited tone lacing it.

His hand went up to grasp hers that was covering his cheek.

"You're my soulmate" he responded just as excited.

"Yeah" she grinned.

And with that they began to swirl around the dance floor. The music flowing around them in waves, both completely lost within eachothers presence.