Chapter 2

I open the door to the library,  the quiet atmosphere here is something I've definitely missed. The first floor here is pretty empty with only a few people at the tables but I know that there are more people on the second floor where most of the computers are. I walk to the counter and when I see one of my coworkers I get along with well, her eyes widen in surprise. 

"Julia! You're coming back today?" my coworker Malia screeches as she rushes around the counter and hurls herself into my arms. I have to steady myself for a second so we don't fall to the floor since she towers over my height. 

"Malia, c'mon, there are people watching," I chuckle as I hug her back.

"Let them watch, I'm just so happy to see you here, walking and healthy. How are you feeling?" she questions as her arms drop and she scans me from head to toe.

"Much better compared to when I first left the hospital, I should be good to come back to work. I'll literally take anything at this point, even if I have to spend the day shelving books" I sigh as she chuckles.

"I know you're serious when you say that because you try to put that at the end of the list of what you have to do during your shift," she says shaking her head and I shrug my shoulders in response.

"What can I say, I'd rather be doing anything else than organizing," I chuckle as another person walks up to the counter and a grin breaks out on my face.

"Old man, I'm finally back, you miss me?" I ask my boss Ross as he lets out a sigh when he sees me.

"It's finally been quiet here and now the one that makes the most noise is back," he says in exasperation but I don't miss the smile on his wrinkled face. I've known Ross the library director since I was thirteen, when I moved to the area with my family I used to come here every day after school to do my homework or have my nose in a book. When I was in high school Ross asked if I wanted to do my volunteer hours here since he always saw me here every day and he assumed that I liked coming here. 

His assumptions weren't wrong and that's when I started volunteering here three times a week and even though I wanted to do more, he emphasized that school comes first, something my parents also agreed on when I started here. After graduating high school I told him that I wanted to become head librarian and he said that he'd have a spot for me once I finished schooling since the head librarian at that time was going to retire around the time I'd finished.  So here I am now after years of university and getting my master's in library science doing something that I love. 

"Don't lie, you know you've missed me," I reply with a smirk as I follow him to the back office, giving a nod to Malia we'll talk later. 

"Yes, your presence has been missed, I wanted to ask if you have contacted your parents now that you're out. I've reached out to your father but not your mother since that last incident," he asks me and I shake my head. 

"Last time I talked with my mom months ago things were still icy and as for dad, not yet. I already saw his messages that he couldn't afford to travel but he's keeping in contact with you about me. I'll probably call him later tonight. Anyways, can I finally be cleared back to work?" I ask him as I sit across from him.

"I wanted to give you a couple of more weeks of rest before letting you back," he answers in a serious voice and I shake my head in response.

"I'd rather be doing something productive, even shelving and yes those words just came out of my mouth," I tell him holding my hand up and stopping him from questioning my words. "Or even something small like paperwork."

"If it's just paperwork then I guess you could come for that and only that," he says after thinking for a couple of minutes. "I'll clear you to come in for work next week on Monday, how's that?" Today's Thursday so waiting three more days to come back to work is nothing.