Chapter 1

The sound of birds chirping wakes me, my muscles are stiff from how I slept last night. I open my eyes slightly and see the room is still mostly dark but small streams of light through the curtain signify it's already past sunrise. I slowly sit up, wincing a bit from the soreness coming from my abdomen, the scars on my body still in its healing process. It's only been two and a half months ago when I woke up from my coma.

The whole mess of my ex-boyfriend coming to talk to me and beg me to give him more money, me firmly telling him no, and then him stabbing me with the plan to leave me for dead bleeding in my apartment. But that day I thankfully had a guardian angel watching over me.

If Natalia hadn't heard the noise coming from inside the apartment, if she had come just a little later to drop off Jade, I probably wouldn't be here. And I can't forget during the time I was in the hospital she stepped up along with her boyfriend to take temporary custody of Jade, someone she only just met recently and could have decided to let her go to a foster home instead of giving herself a huge responsibility; I'll forever be indebted to her, her boyfriend, and every single person that reached their hands out to us.

And now here we are, two months after waking up, out of the hospital but not really back home. While I was in the hospital there was a doctor I met, a sexy doctor and he was a friend of Natalia's and another nurse I met there who also works in Jade's school. Every single day he made sure to stop by at least twice a day, either when I was awake or sleeping to see me. Honestly it felt just like a scene from a drama, as if it wasn't really my life.

Haruto Sato became an unlikely new friend while I was there and when I was discharged, even though I knew I would have a hard time getting everything back to normal it seemed like he wasn't just going to go away. There were so many concerns going through my head. I was behind on rent, I still needed to take off time for work for another week or so and I have a nine-year-old to look after. All in all, things were looking pretty grim.

The day I found that eviction letter it felt like my world was crumbling away. It was the last thing I was expecting when I went home and I felt so gutted reading it, like my world was crumbling away and I didn't know what to do. But Haruto, bless his soul said we were welcome to stay with him so we weren't homeless. It took some persuasion on his part but I'm happy I made this decision. We've been living here for almost two weeks and it's been a relief to not have to worry about so many things.

《 Flashback

"Thanks for taking me home Haurto, I hope I didn't inconvenience you or anything," I tell the man as we walk towards my apartment. Haruto turns to look at me, an easy smile on his face as he shakes his head.

"It wasn't an inconvenience, I didn't want to let you go home by taking a taxi and I'm pretty sure you want to take care of things at home before Jade comes back," Haruto points out as I let out a sigh. He's right in that sense, the last time I was here it was a literal crime scene. I'll have to do some intense cleaning, and pay back rent that is due; it'll take some days before it's a semblance of what it used to be. If I had a chance I would leave this place but the rent is decent here for a single mother so beggars can't be choosers. 

"You're right, I'm just hoping when they cleaned up my apartment they did a good job of removing my blood because I'm not looking forward to scrubbing my floors," I say as we stop in front of my apartment and I take out my keys from my jacket. 

"If you need any help you let us know, you were just released and you're still in recovery," he says as I unlock the door. "I don't want you getting sick," he adds, voice softening. I feel my cheeks warm up from his words but the feeling quickly passes when I open the door and see an envelope on the floor.