Chapter Seventeen♥

Start from the beginning

          I smiled before looking around the kitchen. I raised my eyebrows when I saw that there were various ingredients and pots and pans on the black granite counter top.

          “What is going on in here?” I asked curiously.

          Jared laughed and ran his fingers through his hair, “I was going to make you a cake…I figured you needed it.”

          My heart swelled at the sweet gesture. I knew I should still be mad at him, he had hurt me by kissing Immy, but it was hard to hold onto that anger when he was being so nice to me. He had let me into his house, borrowed me warm clothes and now he was even attempting to make me feel better by making me a cake.

          “That’s…” I paused for a moment as he continued to look at me with those gorgeous eyes of his, “That’s actually really sweet.”

          Jared grinned before he motioned me to join him in front of the counter tops.

          “What’s your favourite cake?” He asked me while he reached for the flour.

          “Red velvet cake.” I responded immediately.

          He nodded in approval, “Good taste.”

          We began mixing the cake mix, talking about casual things. I got the impression that Jared was only sticking to safe topics that he knew wouldn’t upset me, things like school, my favourite movies, my favourite food, he told me that people were asking about me in Black Jack Joes, and I promised that I would head over and have a game of pool sometime. It was weird, I had never seen this side of Jared, his gentle side. I kept catching him staring at me with concern, his eyebrows furrowing when his gaze fell on my swollen cheek. I could tell he wanted to ask me about it, yet he held his tongue.

        “Why were you walking around in the rain?” I asked suddenly when I realised I didn’t know why he had been walking around in the rain.

       “I was…going to meet Dexter.” He mumbled as he put down the cake mix so he could read the instructions.

          I smirked evilly when I noticed he was distracted while he was reading how long the cake would need to go in the oven. I dipped my finger in the sticky cake mix before wiping it across his left cheek.

          His jaw fell open as he turned to look at me with mock outrage, “That was cheeky!”

          “Oh I’m sorry, did I hurt your feelings?” I giggled.

          Jared pouted but his eyes were playful, “Yes you did.”

          I laughed and reached up on my tiptoes to remove the sticky substance with my tongue. I felt Jared freeze and I pulled away quickly, surprised by my bold action. His eyes seared through me, his lips parting as he looked at me with so much intensity I felt like I was going to melt under the heat of his stare.

          “S…Sorry, I don’t know why I did that. I just didn’t want to waste-“

          “Don’t apologise.” Jared interrupted me.

          Before I could register what was happening, his tall frame was pinning my smaller one against the counter. His hot breath fanned over my face as he bowed his head, his nose nudging against my own. I felt dizzy as his body pressed against mine, leaving no space between us. He was invading me again, taking over my senses and making me feel lightheaded. My arms gripped his elbows, while his right hand moved to the curve of my hip.