Chapter Twenty Five♥

There's always that one teacher that has the rare ability to cure Insomnia. They do it with their voice; which is so monotone it seems to fade into the background, making you question if they are even actually talking. Mr Tanner had this gift. 

My head was resting on the palm of my hand, my weight depending on my elbow to keep my head upright as my eyes flickered closed. Our English class was studying Romeo and Juliet as we had already sat our exam about Of Mice and Men. He had been begun the class by telling us we were going to be doing our coursework on the themes that go on in Romeo and Juliet, that was the only thing I had taken from the forty-five minutes that had passed.

Jared was sat beside me, his leg pressed against mine. His head had dropped forward, his eyes slightly blurry as he played with his pen in an attempt not to fall asleep. Darren was on my other side, as far away as he could get, his expression sullen as he stared at the rain outside.

"When will this end?" Jared whispered in my ear, causing me to smile.

"Hopefully before I pass out from boredom," I replied.

Jared grinned, his arm coming behind my chair as he moved closer. His fingers played with my hair and it took every ounce of my strength not to lean on his shoulder and fall asleep. We had gone on a few more dates since our night out in Black Jack Joes, we had gone for dinner at the local cafe and watched a film in the cinema. If anyone had told me how much I would enjoy Jared Felton's company a few months ago, I would have laughed in their face. It was strange how things could change so completely.

"What are you doing tonight?" Jared asked after making sure Mr Tanner hadn't noticed our hushed conversation.

"I was just going to wallow in self-pity because I have so much homework." I joked; although I was pretty serious, I had fallen behind on homework recently. "Why?"

Jared cleared his throat, his expression becoming anxious, "Do you want to have dinner with my parents."

I nearly choked with surprise, "Your parents?"

"Yeah, they feel bad about the way they acted when they first met you," Jared explained, his brow furrowing in anger as he recalled the incident. It had not gone well, his Father insulted the both of us when he basically told me his son banged anything with legs, this obviously included me. His Mum hadn't been the most welcoming either, but I was almost used to hostile mothers, I lived with one.

"What time?" I finally replied.

"You really want to come?" Jared questioned immediately, "You don't have to if you don't want to." He reassured me.

"No." I smiled, "I want to."

Jared smiled, leaning closer to me, "If we weren't in a classroom full of people I would kiss you." He whispered.

I bit my lip to hide my smile, forcing myself to turn back to Mr Tanner who was still ranting on and on. My heart was beating wildly in my chest as Jared's hand skimmed my thigh before he moved down to entwine our hands under the desk.

I was surprised by his offer to have dinner with his parents. After the trainwreck of a meeting we had, I imagined Jared would want to avoid any sort of meeting where we were stuck in the same room, but I was also touched by his offer, meeting the parents was a serious thing; it meant something. I could tell by his body language - fingers tapping on the wooden exterior of the desk, teeth gnawing at his bottom lips and the rapid bounces of his leg that he was nervous about asking me to do this.

I couldn't let him down.

"Sure." I agreed, my voice wavering slightly with nerves.

"Great." He grinned.