What Appa actually did pt. 1

LISTEN UP YOU CABBAGES!!! This chapter is dedicated to fluffystuffies for being there from the beginning and giving me the name for a certain someone. ;)

Appa's POV

Do I dislike leaving Aang for a week? Yes, yes I do. Do I regret it? No, no I do not. Around  one week ago I heard the calls of a lost cub. I went out of the cave to find it. That annoying excuse for a lemur tried to pull me by the ears back to the cave.

I shook him off easily. Quite literally, I shook my head and he went flying into the trees. Hopefully to be never seen again.

I found the cub about a mile away from the cave. "What do you need tiny one?" I asked the distressed cub. He stopped his wails, and sniffled.

"Can you help me find my brother?" What was I supposed to say? No?

"Of course. Were did you fly here?"  I asked the sniffling cun. Just before the cub answered. Some one answered for him.

"Yes, yes we were. He wasn't supposed to hop off my back just yet." A male voice scolded. His voice was deep, velvety, and had a distinct accent. Like the wild bison's, when they were still alive. It took me a second to realize, the male was hovering above us. I looked up. That exact bison was looking down at me with disgust. "Come on little brother, let's leave this pack animal alone."  The male sneered.

"Excuse me? I just happen to be the protecter of the avatar."  I say scoffing. The male lands beside me. He laughed airily.

"Is that what they told you? Well I hate to break i- " he stopped short when I showed him my saddle. Sure it wasn't much, but it proved just how right I was. The saddle was hand crafte dby the monks, using an fabric that only the ancient monks knew how to make. It also had the right markings, showing other bison, I was the Avatar's choosen. "Is that r-real?" The male said in disbelief landing beside me and the cub.

It was then, that I noticed how small the male was compared to me. The eastern bison were always smaller than us. But now I notice how small. His arrow took up most of his forehead, and his horns made it to just the bottom of my satchel.

"Yup!" I say proudly.

"My apologies chosen, my name is Aadrik." He bowed down, and shoved his cub of a vrother to do the same. My, this Aadrik is cute.

"Get up, now mind telling me how you exist? I thought all air bison were extinct." Aadrik's eyes shown with glee, and he began telling me the apparent 'legend' of how his heard survived. Apparently a few monks, who unfortunately had not been air benders, took a half of the easten temple's pack into the cayon. The day of Sozin's comet. When the monks recieved word of what happened, took them to a hidden place in the canyon. This place was bursting with plants and caves. Perfect for bison's to nest in. The couples got busy, and produced a new generation. Two of which were Aadrik's parents.

"So you live there now?"  Aadrik smiled, and nodded happily. Crap, he's cute.

"We can bring you there. It might take a days, but you'll ve able to see what we've become." My eyes widened at his offer. But I couldn't, I still have an Avatar to protect.

"I'm sorry Aadrik, but I can't leave the Avatar."  Then Aadrik did the worst possible thing. He pouted, and he looked so damn disappointed. I sighed deeply. Aang's been living in that small town, and only comes to visit me in that lonely cave once a day. He obviously wouldn't need me. Not now anyway.

I sighed again. "If I did go with you, how long would it take? Hypothetically."

Aadriks ears perked up, kind of like Momo's when he hears something interesting. "It would take us a day or two  to get there. Then the few monks and all the bison would want to meet you. So that would take a few days. Then comin back, it would be about a week. Hypothetically of course."  Aadrik answered, smiling.

I hummed, considering my options. If I stayed I wouldn't really do anything. If I left then I could spend more time with Aadrik, and meet the last surviving bison. Aang would be heart broken though. He will get over it.

Eventually.

"Fine, I'll go with you." Both Aadrik and his brother cheered. We launched into the air. Sneaking by above the clouds, so no one below could spot us. As we were flying, Aadrik dove into telling me all about his heard and family. Using his first two paws as exaggerations. The cub, which I learned whose name was Tob, added some things here and there.

After awhile Tob got tired. Aadrik said he usually carried Tob when he got too tired to stay in the air. I carried him tough, he weighed nothing compared to Aang and his friends. Aadrik tried to protest he carry him, but I insisted. This way we could keep going throughout the night.

The entire time, we shared stories, jokes, and laughed at each others misfortunes. As dawn came around the canyon grew more lush, and fertile. Pink flowers bloomed, and a few thin trees made their homes in the cracks of the canyon. Aadrik landed suddenly. I followed hin confused.

"What is it? Is there something wrong?" I asked worried. If he was tired then why didn't he just tell me? I would've stopped and rested with him.

When he turned to me he was grinning. "We're here."

Writer's note:
so I split this into two parts since it was so long. I'll post the second part tomorrow.

Word count:987
{Unedited}