Chap 1

Chapter One

Anurag moved his legs anxiously as he waited for Mr Sharma. He had called him up in the morning and arranged this meeting. Anurag was very well aware of the subject of the meeting. He has run way from this for more than 3 months now. But he knew that he need to discuss things eventually and now he cannot hide anymore. Sharma's sponsored Anurag's dancing requirement. His contract will be ending after 6 months. Whether he liked it or not he needs to deliver as per the contract. He leaned against the plush sofa and closed his eyes resting his head on the headrest. He have to tell him that he is yet to finalize his partner.  Mr Sharma is aware of Anurag's affair with his daughter and never interfered in his daughter's personal life. He gave Anurag enough time to mourn. But then he was a businessman after all. He has spend lakhs money to promote his daughter and his partner. Also as per the clause of the contract if either or partner passes away a new recruitment will take place. Anurag was sure that Mr Sharma never thought he will lose his precious daughter and now he needs to replace her. It must be very painful for a father to replace his own talented daughter with an outsider.

Mr Sharma's secretary informed Anurag that he would like to meet him in the conference rooms. Anurag has attended many meetings in this office so he was aware of where it is. He made his way through the corridors toward the conference room. He saw his and Pranati's pictures and newspaper cutting all
over the office. With a heavy heart he entered the room feeling nostalgic.

"Hello Mr Basu. Hope you are doing fine. Sorry to disturb you but you are aware that there aren't much days left for the World Cup. So we need to discuss few things". Mr Sharma said flipping some papers that was there in front of him.

I took the seat that was right in front of me and cleared my throat. He has always been very intimidating and a thorough businessman. Looking at his demure right now, nobody will be able to say that he has lost his precious daughter. But I am sure he must be mourning inside.

"Mr. Sharma...I"

"Mujhe pata hai Tum Pranati se kitna pyaar karte the. Aur yeh waqt tumhare liye Bohot difficult hai. But we are losing time and you realize that. We can't afford to bear loses. And moreover the World championship was my daughter's last wish. So, Mr Basu, get your shit together for the sake of the love of your life." He removed his glasses and kept it on the table before pinching the bridge of his nose.

This is the first time he is acknowledging our relationship. Anurag tried to gulp the lump that formed inside his throat hearing her name.

"I know nobody can replace my daughter and never in my life I have imagined that I have to replace my daughter. She is a terrific dance and she will always be. Her talent is incomparable but in order to achieve that we have to prepare the new recruit and make her close to my daughter".

Anurag appreciated the fact that he is referred Pranati's dance in present tense but at the same time he was too shocked to know that Mr Sharma has already selected someone without his consent. Its very rude of him because Anurag has the right to select more than anymore else because he is the one who is going to perform. He is the other half of the duo.

"I am sorry Mr. Sharma, but you cannot put any random person like this. I understand that I am bound with the contract but I do have a say here because it is not just a random selection. I do not doubt about the talent of the chosen person because if you have chosen her then she must be close to how your daughter used to dance. But in duet the chemistry, the comfort, faith between the leads is most important and that doesn't happen over night. I understand that we don't have much time but I am very demanding when it comes to dance. I don't settle with half-hearted effort. Your daughter was exceptional. We had a great chemistry. She understood unsaid words and I didn't even have to try to make her mold into my form of dance. So, Mr Sharma, I would have appreciated if you kept me in the loop before you gone ahead with the selection. However, I would like to keep the final decision with me." Anurag didn't realize that he was out of breath after he ended his speech.

"I appreciate your concern and I must say I am proud of my daughter's choice. You are fierce my young man. We don't get to see this desperation now a days. Yeh jo junoon hai jeetne ka will fetch us the top position Anurag. Keep it up young man. All I would add here is you wont reject her because she is a fierce little thing and a perfectionist as you are. She has learnt dancing from the best. It might be difficult initially but I am quite sure you will get along. If not maybe surpass the chemisty..."

Anurag didn't let him finish is last word because he knew by his heart that no one can take Pranati's place in his heart or dance floor. "I will see myself and let you know sir, its good to be optimistic but we cant do anything but be positive at this moment. So I understand your word sir. Par mein heera ko heera tab hi kehta ho jab mein khud usko parkha hai. I am not saying this to disrespect you sir and please don't get me wrong, but Pranati has set her stands very high. Only she could have beat herself and no one else." Anurag stood up and extended his hand for a handshake. He just couldn't sit there anymore. He turned to leave holding the door nob when he said, "I hope you will trust me on my selection and don't mind if I reject my partner."

Mr. Sharma just looked at him and smiled nodding his head in affirmation.

Anurag smiled back halfheartedly because after all Mr Sharma was his sponsor. And he cannot misbehave with him. He held the latch and turned. The door bumped against his face hurting his nose. He took two step backwards covering his face with his hand as the sting intensified.

"Oh my god! I am so sorry." A pair of hands touched his wrist. Anurag removed his hands from his face. He blinked several times thinking he might be hallucinating. He again tried to clear his vision yet Pranati's face was not going away. Gradually he realized that he was not hallucinating and it is indeed Pranati who is standing in front of his eyes. 'How is that possible' he thought. Pranati cannot be alive. "I am really sorry sir, I didn't mean to hurt you like this. Oh my god! You are bleeding. Let me get the first aid box". She turned to leave when I grabbed her wrist and realize she is real, flesh and blood. She turned to see the our joined hands and frowned. "Who are you?" I questioned her forgetting the pain and the blood that I tasted on my lips.

"Meet Prerna Sharma, your dancing partner." Mr. Sharma said getting up from his chair.