pt. 2 of 7 - he hates his birthday

Leo didn't feel like doing anything all day. He could barely move and his tears just wouldn't stop. He didn't have the energy to fake a smile, didn't have the patience for Franks shit.

He definitely didn't have the courage to look at Percy. So he did all of it. He got out of bed, cried, washed his face, faked a smile, dealt with Frank as best he could, and looked at Percy without crying. Yay. But he only did it because of this stupid war. If it were any other way, he'd just lay in bed all day.

But at the end of the day he cried. What he didn't know was Piper heard his song.

"Happy b-birthday to me." He said and sobbed.

"H-happy birthd-day to me." His voice cracked at the end.

"Happy birthday d-dear fuck up. Happy birth-thday to m-me." Piper could only stand there in surprise and concern. What kind of messed up birthday song is that? Then Piper remembered he told her how alone he was before coming to the Wilderness school.

Maybe he still feels alone. She thought and smiled. She was going to throw a party for him. The best fucking birthday party there ever was. When this war was over of course.

----《after the war》---

Leo heard a knock at the door and looked up from his wet, tear stained pillow.

"Leo, it's me Piper. Come on I have a surprise for you." She said. He groaned but she knocked again.

"Please?" She asked and he sighed. He washed his face and faked a smile before opening the door.

"Hey Pipes. What's up?" He asked and was suddenly blindfolded.

"Like I said I have a surprise." She said.

"A surprise? For me? Aw you shouldn't have." He said. She started pulling him somewhere and he was a little scared. A surprise. On his birthday. Probably one of the worst days in his life. And his self hatred is only part of it.

Once the blindfold was off his smile completely faded. Balloons and streamers colored the tan floors of the sand, a table sat in the middle filled with snacks and a few presents.

The people scattered around were smiling wide as they gave him pats on the back and happy birthdays but all he could do was stare at the horrid colors. He didn't know what was worse. The decorations or the fact that it was on the beach!!!!

"Leo?" Someone asked and he looked over. Piper was staring at him a soft smile but frowned when she saw him.

"Is everything okay?" She asked. He wanted to answer with something fake because he didn't want to be rude. They probably spent forever setting this up but he couldn't fake this. It was everything he dreaded doing today. He glanced at the party and glared.

"No. Everythings not okay." He said and she frowned more. A few people noticed his dark tone and stopped talking.

"T-too many balloons?" She asked but he rolled his eyes.

"How did you even find out?" He asked and things quieted down.

"I heard you during the war. You were kind of singing this sad birthday song, I mean, it was really depressing." She said and he raised an eyebrow.

"And you decided throwing a birthday party was best because….?" He asked, crossing his arms and she glared.

"I was trying to help." She said trying to keep in her anger.

"Help?"

"Yeah. I just thought you needed this."

"What I need is for you to stop doing things for me."

"I'm sorry if I'm trying to be a good friend!"

"Well you're not trying enough!!!"

"I'm not trying enough?!! You don't tell me anything!!!"

"And this is why!!!!!" They continued arguing, everyone else stepping back in surprise. They've seen best friends argue, they've heard siblings fight but this, this is entirely new. They have never ever fought. Not once. So watching them yell at each other….... there were no words to tell how sad it was to watch their friendship fall apart.

"Fine!"

"Fine!!"

"FINE!!!" They yelled and stomped away from each other. They stared at them in concern and shock at what they just witnessed, even the Gods were quiet for once.

"Did…… that just happen?"