Chapter Ten

I went to pass the local drug mart and pulled my phone out looking at the time. I had a little over two hours before Will got home so I headed into the store immediately heading into the beauty section. I searched the aisle until I came to the product I was looking for I grabbed a things of hair lightener and grabbed a dark blue hair and a teal hair dye along with black since it was fading then headed to a different aisle grabbing a box of latex gloves since I didn’t like the ones inside the hair dye box. I checked out and headed home. I grabbed an old shirt and slipped it on. I read the directions of the hair lightener since I had never used it before since I had alway gotten my hair professionally done. I sectioned my hair and slipped on my gloves before I mixed the bleach powder with the developer. I wrinkled my nose at the smell it produced before applying it at the roots of my hair. I sighed and threw away the bowl used for the bleach mixture and set a timer for forty-five minutes. 

I took a picture with the bleach in my hair before popping onto my instagram, “guess who’s dying their hair again? ME! Guess your colors in the comments.” I grabbed my mp3 player going straight to my ‘sad’ playlist clicking on the first song which happened tobe ‘Keep Holding on by Avril Lavigne’ I plugged in the aux cord and let the sad music blare through the apartment and I grabbed my phone sending Will a message, “we’re still meeting correct?” I danced around the apartment as I waited for a reply, “yeah meet me at the bus stop.”  I sent him back a thumbs up emoji and sighed setting down my phone and leaned up against the counter covering my face with my hands blinking back tears as ‘I Love You by Billie Eillish’ came on I sat on the couch and grabbed my guitar singing along with the chorus when a thought popped into my head I turned off the music and searched through an old box picking up the old camera wiping off a bit of dust that had collected since the last time it was used. I set it up on the tripod and hit the record button going to sit on the couch.

“Alright this is a test to see if I still have the ability to edit properly.” I grabbed my guitar and started the opening chords to ‘Heather by Conan Gray’ I hummed a little, “I still remember third of December me in your sweater you said that it looked better on me than it did you.” my phone timer went off and I sighed, setting down my guitar and stopped recording, setting the camera to the side for me to edit the video later. I entered the bathroom and turned on the shower warming up the water I detached the shower head and leaned over the tub washing out the mixture washing it with the packet of shampoo that it came with I squeezed the excess water from my hair so that it wouldn’t drip and I flipped my hair up and I grabbed my brush running it through my hair wrinkling my nose in discomfort every time it snagged on a knot. I sectioned my hair again and applied the black from the top to the middle of my hair then opened the bottles of blue and teals and applied them to the desired areas of my hair and wrapped them in foil groaning when I took off my gloves and revealed a blue stain of my palm from where the glove ripped.

I sighed and grabbed the rubbing alcohol from the medicine cabinet making the blue stain fade the best I could. I resumed the music and danced around the house again smiling when I grabbed my phone and saw a message from Warren I clicked on it, “hey whatcha up to?” I smiled, took a picture and sent it to him, “dying my hair.” he called me.

(Italic- Warren Bold Italic- Blake)

W-Why are you dying your hair again?

B- Because I can why you askin’?

W-because I’m bored now that you’re not here.

B- *chuckle* well why don’t you start packing to move in with me dummy

W- *groan* but I don’t wanna pack it sucks and takes so long

B- Well better start soon then and after I’m finished with Will I can come over and help you pack how does that sound you big baby, and after that I can retouch that red streak in your hair since it looks like it’s fading.

W- yay I’ll see you when you get here I’ll be texting you the entire time just so you know and sure it could be touched up a bit only as long as you promise you know what you’re doing.

B- alright well I have to wash the dye out so I’ll text you later Warren but I promise that if I can dye all of my hair then I can dye a couple strands of your hair perfectly fine.

I hung up smiling to myself and I returned to the bathroom washing out the blues and squeezed the excess water out again this time wrapping a towel around my head. I stared into the mirror studying my features. I had my mom’s bright green eyes but that was it. My hand traveled to my neck where the wolf and fire pendent lay on a thin, black chain. I realized that the pendant was just fire none of the other elements and it made me think, “did you know mom?” I fiddled with the pendant for a moment longer before sighing and shaking my hair loose and running a brush through the annoying knots and plugged in the blow dryer so that I didn’t have to wait for my hair to air dry since it took a while to do so.

I searched through my closet looking for an outfit deciding on a royal blue blouse that complimented my pale skin tone and a pair of black jeans pairing them with black pump wedges. I smoothed down the blouse and stared at my shaking hands. Why was I so nervous to meet Will’s mom or was it because I knew Steve was gonna be there? I shook my head to clear my thoughts and unplugged my mp3 player from the aux cord and plugged in my headphones hitting shuffle and stuck it into my pocket doubling checking myself and sprayed a little Coconut Passion perfume onto my neck and wrists rubbing it into my skin. I nodded at my appearance and grabbed my phone texting Warren, “heading to meet Will wish me luck.” i smiled as my phone buzzed, “you don’t need it you got this but good luck anyway.” I smiled as long as I had Warren I could do anything.