2• Violin

Toni Topaz POV

"So, Miss Topaz, what do you say? Half a million for this place."

The man in the suit and tie and the face of few friends, opened a suitcase with green notes on my table.

He lit a cigar and the smoke plagued the room.

"In the first place, Mr Hastron, I don't want you to smoke that stinky thing in my room. Second, I already said that I am not going to sell Château Topaz. Every month you come back here and I always give you the same answer; no."

"If I add another hundred thousand, will your answer change?"

"Hmm, let me think."

I put my hand on my chin and made a thoughtful face, pulling out a hopeful expression from the businessman.

"Yes, I have another answer."

"Fascinating, and when-"

"That's my answer. Richard, Bernard, get that man out of my sight."

Two men entered the room and lifted Hastron by the arms.

"And take your money bag with you. I told you, this place is not for sale."

"You will regret it, Topaz. I'm still going to buy this and drop it. You can keep my words."

"I will keep it in the file of everyone who has ever told me that. Thank you, you can retire."

Hastron snorted and I threw myself into the office chair, massaging my temples, sighing in defeat

A picture frame next to the notebook showed my family's photo in front of the château as soon as it opened.

Despite having a lot of debts, I couldn't get rid of it.

In fact, I couldn't. It was due to the memory of my grandparents."

"Sorry",Veronica's head appeared in the doorway and I motioned for her to come in, offering me a friendly smile, "Have you received visitors today? I think the business hours started early."

"Yep, I can't stand these businessmen knocking on my door to make proposals anymore."

"Toni ..."

She sat in the chair previously occupied by Mr. Hastron and took a deep breath before beginning her speech.

"Let's be realistic, all right? I know you love this place, which is all you have left of your grandparents, but ..."

"But what?"

"Debts are increasing. He knows that at one time or another, he will have to sell."

"No, Veronica. I'll find a way to keep this place."

"How long ?! We have already received five notifications from the bank, you are no longer able to borrow. Please think carefully about any of these proposals. From what I could hear, the tie offered him half a million. Toni, this covers some debts and there is enough left for ..."

"For what ?! My life is this place. I don't want to get rid of the chateau, Veronica. Please, we will not talk about it in the morning."

"You have no way."

I looked up at her and Veronica poked her nails.

He has always been by my side since college and nowadays he helps me to keep alive the music school that Château Topaz houses.

It is not luxurious, much less modern, but the students who leave here become excellent musicians.

There are classes of all ages, it is a pleasure to teach what I know.