Chapter 17 - Once Under A Blue Moon

Start from the beginning

"Why are you — since when did you start singing old songs?" 

"You know I love them, Khush. They are my only companions away from home." He said with a smile. "And honestly, I am closer to them because you introduced these songs to me." She raised her eyebrows in surprise. "And about why I am singing nowadays? I think you should tell me why." 

His teasing wiped off the smile from her face, making him chuckle softly. She bit her lip mercilessly wondering how to respond to him. She was about to say something, but the noise of another bike roaring into the building distracted them for a moment. Being with her on the terrace right now meant leaving his friends waiting for him downstairs. The thought put a slight crease on her forehead.

"Your friends let you come upstairs?" She said quickly, suddenly glad that she found something else to talk about.

"I don't think anyone can stop me today." He drawled.

Her heart hammered, but she ignored it. "They had come to see you, and you ran —"

"I am learning from you." He smirked as he took a step towards her.

"I—I am not running—" She was about to state firmly, but he interrupted her.

"Really?" He raised an eyebrow. "Allow me to test the validity of that statement then." He said confidently, and without giving her any time to react, he was standing next to her in a few quick strides. When he got too close to her, she stepped back, and he shook his head. "This won't do, Miss J. I am going back in two weeks, we don't have much time."

A sudden realisation of him being there with her only for a few days hit her, and she looked at him "Only?"

"Only."

"You came down for just two weeks? Arnav, how—why?" She asked him, worry wrinkles settling down on her forehead.

"I came to check out the universities here, BV. A few weeks ago, someone almost begged me to come back, and so —here I am." He gave a teasing smile.

Heat filled her cheeks, and she averted her eyes. "But it must've cost, Kaka—"

"—Didn't pay for it." He interrupted her again. "I did. I had my booking done in October."

"What?"

He laughed. "You know, I have waited for a very long time to see you react to this line precisely this way!" He smiled as he stood close to her. "I've worked part-time every single evening, Khush, and on the weekends too." He saw her face wear a frown the moment he said that. "I just wanted to clarify before you get any smart ideas in your creative head."

"Oh my god! Arnav, why? Why would you—and that booking in October—how?"

"I had borrowed from my roomie. I've paid him back, of course."

"You've been working? Your coursework—"

"I wouldn't let anything or anyone affect that and—"

"And now the demanding new job! How are you going to —and the salary, will it—?"

Suddenly, he held up his palm in the air forbidding her from talking. "Only my girlfriend or wife should have the right to ask me these very personal questions, don't you think?"

Her eyes flew open in shock, and she stood stunned in front of him. His eyes met her with a straight challenge, and she saw a raw glint in them, which had pushed away all the pretence and revealed exactly what he wanted from her.

"I—" She hesitated as the thumb on her finger played with her index finger nervously. "When are you flying back?"

He was disappointed, and it showed on his face. "On the second of next month. Good enough?"