sim jaeyun • home

Start from the beginning

"So," he cleared his throat. "Sunghoon and you huh?"

Your brows furrowed together, "Yeah, we're friends, we kind of grew closer after you left." You admitted, fidgeting with your fingers.

Nodding, Jake sat on one of the bean bags, gesturing you to do the same as he focused his eyes on the city lights in front of you both as you sat down.

You both sat in silence, questions flooding your mind as you occasionally took small glances towards Jake's slouched figure. He had his elbows over his knees, chin resting above his palms as he looked over the huge buildings. The boy was really acting strange and it was making you question a lot.

Did I do something wrong? Why isn't he talking to me all of a sudden? Is he upset because I wasn't there to greet him after he arrived? Is he angry at me? Why won't he even dare to look at me longer than five seconds? Is he-

"Do you like Sunghoon? (Y/N)?" You almost fell over your chair upon the sudden question, key word being almost but unfortunately for you, you choked on your own saliva as you sputtered for air. If you won't fall down flat on your face, your fate had something else in store especially just for you.

You shake your head no as you stared at him blankly, recovering from your short, abrupt coughs. "If you're referring to the kind of like that means more than being friends, then no, I like somebody else and I don't see Sunghoon that way."

"Then you do like someone."

Hearing the seriousness in Jake's voice, you almost shuddered. But your stupidity had other plans when you let out an exasperated, "Well of course I do!"

Jake turned towards you, wide eyes glistening with hope, fear and nervousness as it reflected the starry lights of the buildings from a far. The boy looked magical in a night time like this and you thought you were so lucky for witnessing this magnificent art named Jake Sim.

"Who?"

You stayed silent, however.

You could've answered 'You' within in a heartbeat, but frankly, you didn't have the confidence and guts to do so yet. Instead, you tried lightening up the somber mood of the atmosphere surrounding you and Jake.

"Come on Jake, don't tell me you'll also threaten the boy I like, just like how Sunghoon did." You teased. "Did you know that he told me he'll drag any boy that I like on the ice skating rink with bare foot when it's notㅡ" You paused.

You watched as Jake scrunched his brows, lines appearing on his forehead as he unconsciously pouted his lips from your apparent hesitation. You softly smiled at him. Leaning towards his seat as you placed your thumb over the crease of his skin and gently massaging it as he quietly observed you.

"My grandma always used to say that knitting your brows together like this would result in wrinkles, it will make you look like you're way to old for your exact age." You quietly mumbled as you focused on his forehead, ignoring the soaring palpitations of your heart from the close proximity. "Why are you even asking me such silly questions anywaysㅡ"

"I like you." And your hand suddenly went limp.

On the other hand, Jake could almost swear that his heart was gonna burst out of his chest from how nervous he'd gotten. He never intentionally meant to confess like that, it accidentally got out and even he, himself was surprisedㅡand now he was low-key panicking.

"Y-you what?" he watched as you retrieved your arms back, leaning over to the bean bag with wide eyes.

He reached out for your hands again. "IㅡI..."