Chapter Fourteen

Charlotte had no idea how long they had been there. Maybe it was five minutes, maybe it was fifteen. Either way, it felt as if she were there for a whole eternity. The other father may not have been an expert on kissing, but he did it fairly well. By the time he pulled away, it left her panting for air. They sat there for a moment as the warm air passed between them. His button eyes gazed at her softly as his slender, inhuman hands never let go. Both breathed heavily, and both were satisfied. "Darling..." He started. "I love you too..." Charlotte replied, practically finishing his sentence. He smiled at her. One of his hands gently caressed her face. His chest rose with a sigh, a happy one. She never looked away from his eyes. They seemed to hypnotize her in a way that made her body become warm and her soul relaxed. Suddenly, that feeling quickly evaporated as a loud bark sounded throughout the room.

"UNHAND HER!!!" Charlotte turned her head just in time to see a quite angry, little black terrier charge into the room. He scampered so fast, she thought it might've been a shadow at first. Just as her eyes locked on Jacque, she felt the other father tighten his grip. As quick as he could, as if on an impulse, he snapped his fingers with a hard click. She felt bewildered as the snap echoed the room, swiftly alerting nearby sewing supplies and rolls of fabric. Acting together, the inanimate objects seized Jacque, entangling his paws and wrapping around his neck like a cruel collar. He let out a small bark of surprise as it happened. Charlotte turned her head back to the other father, who now had a glare on his face. She had never seen him glare before, and she didn't think she liked it. However, she didn't think twice. "Let him go! Please!" She pleaded. The other father, gaze still locked on the dog, replied with a heavy breath. "You didn't tell me you met this filthy little vermin..." He spat. "Who're you calling vermin, you overdressed-" Jacque couldn't finish the insult due to a long snake of fabric wrapping around his snout. "Still all bark and no bite, I see." The other father stated, a small smirk appearing only for a moment. Charlotte couldn't take it anymore. She threw herself in front of him, "LET. HIM. GO. He's not worth it!" She said. He looked at her, pausing for a moment. After all, moments ago they were so peaceful, so intimate. Her emerald eyes made his insides ache as he could spot the tiny specs of tears that threatened to spill if he wasn't careful. Looking back at Jacque, he could see it was getting harder for the mangy animal to breathe. That dog was lucky he had a soft spot for her. "You're lucky I love you." He said, snapping his fingers once again. The last time he said that was when he visited her through the mirror. Back when she was angry and scared. Of course, now it seemed a little appropriate since she did indeed feel that way again.

Like a spell, the tiny dog was released. Charlotte instantly walked over to remove the excess ribbons and material off of his snout. Meanwhile, the other father wrinkled his nose in distaste. "I thought you were going to stay out of sight!" She said in a sharp whisper. Jacque gave her puppy eyes, lowering his head. "I know, I know... I just didn't hear anything for a while! AND that says a lot since I'm the one with the superior senses here! No talk, no whisper, I was afraid he had gagged you! Or worse, poisoned you just so he could sew the buttons in your eyes!" He explained. Charlotte was about to say something else when the other father came closer, pointing an authoritative finger towards Jacque. "You listen to me, you furry little parasite! I wouldn't lay a finger on her, but as for you- Oh I'd happily gouge your eyes out any day of the week!!!" He raised his voice sternly. She got goose bumps from hearing it. That was the first time she ever heard him threaten anyone, and not to mention he was scary when he did so. It didn't help that he loomed over the both of them, eyebrows slightly arched. Charlotte knew that she preferred him as his genuine, overly-eager self. For a moment she paused in her own mind. She didn't realize how much she knew him when it came to that... Jacque hid behind her ankles, feeling intimidated. She didn't know what to do, but the little fragments of courage inside her did. "If you remove his eyes, you'll have to remove mine first!"