chapter sixteen | the library quarrel

Beginne am Anfang

"Tonic? Wha--" Hermione began to say. That was when Harry put a vial in his pocket. "Liquid Luck."

"You mean, the Liquid Luck Harry won in Slughorn's class on the first day?" Eliza asked.

"Well, where else would we have gotten it from?" Andrew retorted. "We saw Slughorn hand him the bloody vial."

Ron was reluctant as he picked up the cup in front of him. "I mean..."

"Don't drink it, Ron!" Hermione hissed. When he drank from his cup, she spun her head towards Harry. "You could be expelled for that."

"I don't know what you're talking about," he responded with a blank face. "No one saw anything."

Hermione rolled her eyes and looked at Oliver and his friends. "You guys did see that, right?"

"See what?" Andrew and Eliza replied at the same time, smirking.

Once Ron drank the juice, he nodded as a small smile came upon his face. "Come on, Harry. We've got a game to win." With that, he took Harry's hand from across the table and pulled him up, leaving the Great Hall together.

"Well, that was interesting," Jacob muttered. "Let's just hope it'll help Ron with today's match."

"Which we should be heading to," Andrew announced, standing up.

"I think I'll be missing this one, guys," Oliver told them.

"What? Why?" Eliza asked.

"I mean, Andy isn't even playing," Oliver pointed out. "Besides, I've got some homework I need to do."

Andrew sighed. "Well, that's true. I guess we'll see you later, then." With that, he walked away, then Eliza bid Oliver goodbye before catching up with him.

Violet was next, giving Oliver a small smile. "We'll see you after the match." She strolled off, her ponytail bouncing with each step.

Jacob got his coat ready as he stood up, sighing. "Listen, since we're alone now, I want to let you know that I think I found more information about what happened to Fiona."

"You have?" Oliver felt his heart tug at the mention of his sister. Him and Jacob had been doing some digging for a while, trying to fit the pieces together about Fiona's death. At the time Oliver asked Jacob a year ago, he only trusted him with the help, rather than the other three, who had told Oliver to move on from the past before he could bring up any theories. However, this was always about closure for Oliver's sake and possibly for his parents as well.

"Well, I did some research, so it's not a definite answer, but I think it's a possibility this time." Jacob opened his mouth to say more when his attention went somewhere else.

Oliver turned around and saw Mary walking in the Great Hall, her face grinning when she saw Blaise Zabini. She sat down beside him, where he was pleased with this. "Are they a thing now?" Oliver questioned.

"I don't know, but they wouldn't stop staring at each other during the dinner party," Jacob explained, then turned his head back towards Oliver. "Watch out for her. I think our suspicions about her are right." He dug in his pocket and handed Oliver a crumpled up piece of parchment. "Anyway, just look up these books in the library at these specific pages. Hopefully, they'll be able to explain my theory about your sister more clearly."

Oliver nodded and took the parchment. "Thanks, mate."

"No problem. Let me know what you think of it." With that, Jacob walked away from his friend and out of the Great Hall.

The Ravenclaw boy took one more glance at Mary before heading out as well, eager to see what information Jacob discovered.

*******