Chapter 2

*Picture is Anna
----------------------------------------------
I was pulling into Anna's driveway as she was running out the front door. Her blonde hair almost got caught in the door jam as she closed it. She had evidence of dark circles under her grass green eyes, but she still looked stunning in her dark blue skinny jeans, pink crop top sweater that says to good for you in all caps and black heels. Of course, she always wears heels on the first day. I'm more of a skater shoes kinda girl, but whatever floats her boat.

"Hey Stella" she puffed out. Dang, I knew bags under eyes, but up close it looks like she got punched.

"What the hell happened to you" I blurted out. "Well thanks Stell. Everyone's best friend wants to hear that on an important day."

'What's stuck up her ass' Layla scoffed. 'Shut up. She's our friend and if you say one more thing about her and there's no running for you for a month' I snapped. 'We both know that would never happen. You like to run to much to not let me.' I growled at her and she stopped talking. I looked over at my friend. She's a werewolf too, so she knew when I zoned out I was talking to Layla.

"Look, if I tell you what's wrong you'll just get angry. When you get angry Layla comes out because you so easily let her have control. To be honest, I don't like it one bit. I don't want to talk about it anyways. So can we go? We already missed first period." Her face looked grim as she spoke.

When she was finished she zoned out which meant she was speaking with her wolf, Maria. I locked the doors, turned off the car and waved my hand in front of her eyes until she came back.

"Anna, we've been friends since birth. I know when something major is up with you. I'm not leaving your driveway until you tell me what's wrong. Layla is sensing a lot of stress and depression from Maria. Please don't shut me out. Talk to me." My voice came out sounding desperate at the end.

"I told you I don't want to talk about it." She went to fix her hair when the sleeve of her sweater slowly moved down her arm revealing a hand shaped bruise. It had to be less than a day old since wares healed fast.

Without realizing it I let out a small gasp. Her eyes went wide with shock as she quickly lowered her hand and pulled at her sleeve.

'Whoever did that to her is so dead' Layla spat. 'Agreed, heads will roll for this.' I accidentally growled out loud and Anna's eyes shit to mine as her face pinched in terror. When she seen that my eyes hadn't changed from blue to deep green she relaxed a bit realizing Layla wasn't in control...yet.

"Who did that" I managed through clenched teeth. She looked away from me which cause Layla to whine. I hurt me too. Does she really not trust us? Is she afraid of us because we're her future Alpha? My thoughts just angered me more.

"Tell me who did that to you now" I said using a hint of my Alpha tone. This caused her to wince and I felt bad for making things worse. She looked back at me, her expression timid.

"An...Andrew did it" she whispered. Andrew is Anna's mate and he's also the son of my father's Beta. He's not a strong as me, but still powerful compared to Anna whose the pack doctor's daughter.

"When"I said softly. "Yesterday afternoon. He came over and he got mad about us not hanging out as much as he would've liked over the summer then he grabbed me." Tears started pouring down her face and I teased out to hug my best friend.

'He's mine' Layla howled. She wanted control right now . I could feel her clawing against me wanting out, but I held her back.

I pulled away and reached into my bag for concealer and helped Anna apply it after wiping away her tears.

"Please don't ever hide something like this from me again. I will do anything to keep you safe and happy, you know that. I'll work on keeping Layla under wraps as long as you promise not to keep secrets like that." She nodded and gave me a weak smile.

Reluctantly I started the car and drove us to school.