Blind Sighted

Please do not steal this story.  This website is for reading and writing, not copy and pasting.

                                                                     Chapter 1~ The New Guy

"So, he brings me home and we are standing at my front door right?  He leans in and I'm thinking he's going to kiss me, but-"

"Miss Benton."  Mr. Tatum stopped Sadie's rant.  "Would you like to share with the class?"

"No, thanks." She smiles.

He lets out an angry "harrumph" and goes back to his Econ lesson.

"I'll tell you later." She whispers.

"Okay." I laugh and turn my attention to Mr. Tatum and my notes.

"If something is in high demand, and there is a low quantity, the price of the item goes up.  If the item is in low demand, and there is a high quantity-" He stops and the door closes, causing me to look up from my notebook to the sight of the noise.  "Can I help you?"

The boy walked up to Mr. Tatum and handed him a slip of paper.  "Well, class, this is Alex Carson.  He's new, please make him welcome."  He turned to Alex and handed him the note back, signed.  "You can have a seat by Miss Taylor."

He looks up and around the room before his dark brown eyes meet mine. His hair is a darker brown than mine, almost black.  His eyes are framed by the thickest lashes I had ever seen on a boy.  He smiles slightly and takes the seat beside mine.

"As I was saying.." Mr. Tatum goes on with his lesson and I go back to my notes.

"I'm Alex."  He leans over and whispers to me.

Without looking at him I lean over.  "Emily."  I turn my head. "But you can call me Em."

"Well, Em, is class always this boring?"

"Always." I sigh and roll my eyes. 

He chuckles lightly. "I guessed so."

His eyes are boring into mine and I can't look away.  I can see the flecks of gold around his irises and the black rim around the brown.  I can see the light freckles that are dusted across his nose.

"You have beautiful eyes." He whispers, breaking my concentration.

"Thank you." I stutter and look down.

"Really.  I haven't ever seen that color blue.  They are almost green."

"Turquoise." I nod.

The bell rings, startling me.  I jump up and load my books in my hands and hook my purse on my arm.

"What class do you have after this?" He asks.

"Gym next, then Trig."

"Then I guess I will see you in Trig." He smiles before walking off in the oppisite direction.

I smile as I look after him, biting my lip.

"Whoa." I hear Sadie behind me.  "I would choose him over Nick, any day."

I turn to give her a glare. "I don't think so.  You killed herself trying to get Nick to notice you and when he finally did you died.  You stay with your little obsession and leave mine alone."

She laughs loudly as we walk to our lockers, causing many heads to turn in our direction.  "Oh, this is great.  You're always making fun of me going after guys and I'm getting my chance to do it to you.  Finally!  God has sent me his grace!"  She throws her head back again, her blond curly hair falling off her shoulders.

"Would you shut it."  I hiss.  "People are staring."

"Only because they can't have this." She points to her butt and opens her locker. 

"You're so full of yourself." I roll my eyes and throw my gym bag over my shoulder and close the metal door.

"As if there was any other way to be." She smiles.  "When you think you are beautiful, you are confident.  And it shows."

"That screams 'I'm obsessed with myself'." I hook my arm with hers and head toward the gym.

"No." She smiles.  "I wish you could see how really beautiful you were, Em." She sighs.

"Yeah." I snort. "My flat hair and my dull eyes. My pale skin and my skinny legs."

"Em!" She gasps. "Every girl in the school would die for hair like yours.  It's long and shiny and perfectly straight.  Your eyes are not dull.  Your skin isn't pale, its creamy and I would die for legs like yours.  Long and lean.  You don't see yourself clearly."

"I see myself fine." I grumble.

"Uh hu." She rolls her eyes. "Sure you do."

"I'm just saying, if my head starts to get too big, I will wined up like Grace and Morgan.  Fake."

"Nah." She waves her hand.  "I wouldn't let ya'."

"Let's just get through gym, shall we?" I end the conversation and open the door to the girl's locker room.