Cassandrium (1)

So, this is a request by @vibishalakshman I hope you like it!

--

"Cassandra!"

The dark-haired girl flinched when she heard her name being called by a very familiar voice.

She stopped cleaning her halbard and placed it on the side, the white piece of clothing clutched tightly beneath her palm. She felt an empty feeling in the pit of her stomach. She closed her eyes and heaved a deep breath.

Did he know what happened?

Her hands were shaking as she turned to him, letting out a force smile.

"Hey, Var."

"I know what you did." was the first thing he said when their eyes met.

Well that answered her question. Her smile dropped, a painful lump forming on her throat.

"I can't believe after all that happened, you still chose to do an irresponsible thing!" he shouted, his lips pressed tightly and pressing his hands to his temple as he stared at her with disappointment.

"I-" she swallowed. "I didn't know that things would turn out like that."

"But it did," he deadpanned, a stony expression on his face. "I thought you changed."

Cassandra felt her temper rising at his words. She gritted her teeth, her muscles quivering, her pulse speeding and her heartbeat pounding. She did something reckless, she got it. But that doesn't mean that he have to judge her by her past and tell her that he thought she changed.

"You thought I changed?" She prodded, giving him a scowl. "What a nice thing to say, Varian. Why don't you go back to your little princess? I thought she needs you?"

Varian was taken aback by her words. His hands formed into a fist, his eyebrows furrowing as he returned her glare.

"Stop acting so childish, Cassandra!" he snapped.

"I am not acting childish!" she defended.

"Really? Then why is Reina at the infirmary, unconscious and have a severe damage on the head because of what you did?" he shouted.

"I told you I'm sorry, didn't I?" she fumed, a heavy feeling on her stomach, her chin trembling. "I didn't know that releasing those animals would cause a stampede and hurt her like that."

"Your sorry won't change anything." He let a hand ran frustratedly down his hair. "This is the tenth time you let your jealousy get the better of you, Cassandra."

Him not calling her Cassie felt like a thousand swords stabbing her all at once at the same time. Now that she just noticed it. She was too preoccupied about what happened to notice how he called out her name.

"It's not my fault that you're starting to drift away from me. You're always gone! It's like you enjoy spending you days with her than me. It's been months, Varian! M-months!" she pointed out, her voice cracking, giving him a pained stare.

"You know that it's my duty-" she cuts him off.

"I know that," she faltered. "But you're the Royal Engineer not her bodyguard."

"The Queen asked me to-"

"Each and everyday, you seemed so close and yet so far."

"Cass..."

"You know what? If things would just continue to be like this then we should just break up," she blurted out.

Her eyes widened, not meaning to say those words. Her posture stiffened, a sudden coldness hits her core. She stared at him, her chin trembling. She opened her mouth to say something when Varian broke their eyes contact, turning his head to the side, a pained look in his eyes.

"Varian, I-"

"You're right."

Her mouth fell open. Her expression blanching, going pale. She gaped at him, opening her mouth but then closed it. She's loss for words. Cassandra felt her whole world crumbling beneath her fingertips. Her eyes watered, finding it hard to breathe.

Is this really happening? Why? She didn't mean to say those word. Why won't any sentence go out of her mouth? Why is he easy to give up on their relationship?

Is she not good enough?

Finally, words came out of her mouth as she opened them.

"Yeah," she took several uneven steps towards the door, still hoping that he would call back her name. She reached for the doorknob, feeling it's smooth texture on her palm.

"Cassandra."

She frozed and quickly turned her head to him, a hopeful feeling blooming in her chest.

"W-what?"

He held out his hand, a pained look in his eyes.

"I need it back."

"Back what?"

He pointed at the very thing she treasured the most. The very gem the gave her hope all the years she felt alone. The Cassandrium.

"What- but you gave it to me! Why take it back?" she asked in disbelief, her mouth slackening.

The latter shook his head. "No. I gave it to Cassie."

"What difference does it make?"

"The Cassandra I know would never hurt someone. The Cassandra I know would always learn from her mistakes. The Cassie I know would never give up on our relationship just like that," he explained coldly. He took a series of steps towards her, his hand still held out. "Give it back."

With shaky hands, she slowly took the necklace out of her neck, already missing it's warmth. She gently placed it on his hand as a tear fell from her eye.

He clutched it tightly as he went towards the door, opening it and left. But that didn't stop her from spotting the tears falling from his eyes as he walked passed her.

She let out a whimper as she fell to her knees. Her heartbeat seeming to slow momentarily, her muscles weakening and her limbs trembling. Feeling dizziness and nausea. She let out a painful sob.

This is all her fault.