"Okay, does Jaylee agree with this decision?"

"Yes definitely, she's attached to him." She smiled and jotted down some notes in her file.

"That's cute. What would you say the nature of your relationship is? For example, are you friends and Mr. Evans is just your child's father figure? Are you engaged in sexual activity only? Is there a romantic relationship?" A blush coated my cheeks at the mention of sexual activity and I felt like I was a schoolgirl getting asked by her mom if I liked a boy.

"I, we, it's complicated. I'd like to think we're at least working toward a romantic relationship with one another, if not there. We just haven't put a label on it." I looked to Chris, asking silently if he had anything to add.

"Yeah, that's... that's probably the most apt description of our relationship. Nothing, uh, nothing past kissing though to answer your other question." Ha! I wasn't the only one embarrassed by the question.

"Alright, so I'm not going to lie and say this will be easy, because it won't be. Unless your claims against Mr. Whitaker hold up in court, he's going to be a formidable force to be reckoned with. His paternity test coming back positive alone is enough to make our lives a living hell. Chris cannot legally sign the birth certificate, and you have to get consent from the biological father to do a, for all intents and purposes, step parent adoption. Your limited time together will also more than likely work against us.

"On a brighter note, if what your saying is true and Chris has a good bond with Jaylee, the court won't look over that. Also, even if these allegations don't pull through, him being put under investigation at all will make the judge hesitate. So, I must ask before we take any steps further, do you want this Mr. Evans? Because if you don't, you need to walk out of this office right now so none of us waste our time." Well, here it comes, the moment of truth. I looked at Chris who was already staring intently at me.

"Mrs. Jackson, I want this more than I've ever wanted anything in my life."

~~~~

*One week later*

"Chris! Chris, the mail is here." I flipped through the many envelopes, looking for two in particular. Both Mrs. Jackson's solution to our problem, and the police's findings in their investigation were supposed to be coming anytime now, so Chris and I had been watching the mail like hawks.

"Are they here?" No, no, no, no, bingo.

"The investigation results are here!" The sound of his feet hitting the floor greeted my ears just before he rounded the corner, coming just behind me to read over my shoulder. With bated breath, I ripped open the envelope to partake of its contents.

Dear Miss Katherine Hughes,

The Gene Snyder U.S Courthouse has written you in regards to the investigation of your allegations of Mr. Cason Whitaker. The Louisville Metro Police Department asked us to inform you that the investigation is still ongoing. No concrete evidence has come forward, but the men and women of the police department are not taking this case lightly. The Gene Snyder U.S Courthouse will keep you informed as the investigation proceeds.

Respectively, Gene Snyder U.S Courthouse

"We have more time." I turned to Chris with a large grin on my face, wrapping my arms around his neck and kissing him hard.

"We might actually pull this off." He wrapped his arms around me to deepen the kiss, pushing me against the nearest wall.

"Of course we will, you're Captain America, and I'm Kitty Hughes. Together, we're unstoppable." He lifted me off the ground, carrying me to the couch and laying me back. His hands traveled under my shirt, the pads of his fingers brushing my bra. I let my own hands wander down to the hem of his shorts, tugging on them teasingly.