"Oh, right. What type of business?"

"I'm on a date with a gorgeous woman, I don't wanna spend the night talking about work."

"Ernest-"

"Call me E."

"...Ernest, I'm just trying to get to know you."

"Well, I own a moving company."

"Awesome-"

"Moving weight that is." He laughed. "If you know what I mean."

"Oh..so..you're a..."

"It gets the bills paid. Not all of us can be fashion moguls you know." He said, looking me up and down.

"Look..Ernest-"

"E." He interrupted.

"E, I had a great time tonight, but I should be getting home soon. I'm gonna be in the office tomorrow morning."

"I get it, you're a working woman. I respect that. But let's not end the night so soon...sure I'll take you home..if you invite me inside."

Oh god.

"To use the bathroom? Sure."

He laughed loudly.

"I like your sense of humor Nadia. But you and I both know what I want." He smirked.

It took everything out of me not to roll my eyes. This had already been a subpar date, now you think I'm going to sleep with you?

"I don't think that's going to happen."

Quentin

Alone in my room, I sketched a couple designs in the book Daley gave me.

I couldn't let my fear of my boss scare me away from this opportunity. As long as I could avoid her like my supervisor said..I'll be fine.

I was interrupted by footsteps nearing my door.

"Quen? You still up?" I heard Oak say.

"I'm working on some designs." I sighed, putting my pencil down.

"It's getting late. Don't you have to be there mad early tomorrow? Don't fuck up your first work day."

"I'll be fine. Thank you, Okechukwu." I said sarcastically.

"I'm just saying." He said, before continuing on to his room.

Maybe I should get some sleep.

I stared down at the jacket sketches I'd done. Something is missing.

I then looked over at my phone.

1:58 AM

"Shit.." I mumbled to myself.

I didn't need to have any concepts or designs done until the end of the week, but if I was gonna be able to get myself out of the 'art directors' bubble-- I needed to show that I was hardworking and driven.

I closed my sketchbook, figuring I could get something done before I go in tomorrow.

As I was getting into bed, I noticed a text message from an unsaved number.

At this hour?

hey quen.
I heard about you getting hired at blackscale, and im so so so proud of you. ik this is what you wanted!! id love to find a way to celebrate with you ;) miss you babes

I laughed to myself, setting my phone back down.

Though the contact was deleted, I reckonized the text to be from my ex, Taylor. Her and I were together for some time, but there was always friction when it came to my career. I remember she'd always tell me "stop wasting your time with this Quentin, leave fashion to the girls and the gays." Even when I told her I create menswear and clothes I would want to wear..she insisted I stick to something more basic.

Even through all that I managed to stay with her, it wasn't until I found out she was throwing out my applications when I decided to break things off.

No way I'm answering that.

-

That morning, I got up almost an hour before I needed to. After getting ready, I rushed to add some finishing touches to my jacket designs, before throwing my sketchbook in my bag and heading toward the front door.

"Yo Quen." Oak said, as I was walking past him making himself breakfast.

"Yeah?"

"Good luck. Tell that boss of yours I said heyyyyyy." He said doing a little dance.

"Thanks for the luck, but I'm actually trying my best NOT to speak to the boss." I said, continuing to walk to the door. "Oh and Oak?"

"Hm?"

"She wouldn't want you anyways."

Ignoring his attempt at a comeback, I finally left out of the apartment, rushing to my car. If I moved quickly, I can be to the office just in time.

-

I pulled up to my building, with just enough time to get up to my floor.

As I was getting out of my car, I took a deep breath.

You're fine, Quentin. Probably more talented than most of those people up there.

"Hey! Quentin!" I heard Daley's voice say behind me.

"Oh..hey."

"I hope you're ready for your official first day. You have no reason to worry, the team is super cool. Almost too cool, those guys don't get much done." She said, catching up next to me.

"I worked on some designs all night, I think they're pretty good."

"Well, I can't wait to see them." She smiled.

She followed me to the elevator, and eventually outside the doors to the workroom.

"As much as I'd love to come spy on you on your first day, Rivers sent me a nasty email asking me to be in her office. I wonder what it is this time." Daley sighed.

"Good luck.." I told her.

"Same to you."

Here goes nothing..