THIRTY EIGHT

Everything was quiet as I sat in my tent, alone, running my fingers slowly through the brown fur of my direwolf. The creature hummed slightly in content, causing a smile to come to my face. It was peaceful, for once.

While the silence was nice, it seemed to be burning a whole in me. Ser Alton was due for his return within the next day or so, and I was impatiently curious to know if he succeeded in the task I gave him.

The day drug on slowly, the morning passing with an short council meeting that bled into a uneventful afternoon. And it was just past the peak of day from a voice called from outside my tent.

"My lord?" The guard that is typically stationed outside called in. "Lady Catelyn is here to see you."

I couldn't help the smile that came to my face. My mother had been gonna for over a fortnight now, being off at the Reach trying to gain the favor of Renly Baratheon. But news of his death traveled quickly, and it made me worry of my mother's whereabouts.

"Enter." I called out as I rose from my bed.

The tent flap opened to show the woman in particular. She wore a wide smile on her face as she stepped forwards, wrapping her arms around me and I did the same to her.

"My son." She said in a soft voice before she pulled back, cupping my face in her hands. "You look well."

I watched as the woman's brows furrowed as she scanned my face, her eyes stopping by what appeared to be my ear. The woman scratched at something before she pulled her hand away. showing me the dried, red substance now under her nail.

"Is this what I think it is?" She questioned with a star , yet not surprised, look.

I just smiled at her cheekily. "They don't call me the Red Wolf for nothing, mother." My words caused her to soften her look and smile lightly at me. "How was your travels?"

"As well as you can expect." She answered vaguely. There was a short pause as my mother gained a cold look again. "I saw your brother."

"Is that so?" I asked as I sat back down on my bed, looking at her curiously as I returned my hand to run through my direwolf's fur.

"Do you know of that woman he has been speaking to?"

I shrugged slightly. "I know her name is Talisa. She's a nurse and I believe she is from Essos somewhere. I don't know much more."

My mother nodded absentmindedly, but before she could speak again, the tent flap opened and in walked one of my brother's personal guards.

"Tormen." I said with a nod. "What is it?"

"Your brother has summoned both you and your mother to the council tent, my lord." The man said. "A raven came. From Winterfell."