Chapter 3: Her Smile

Claude stood there, frozen in place as he saw a pair of beautiful pink eyes staring back at him. (I know, some of you might say her eyes are red, but I kinda think pink suits her better :)

He was flustered for a moment because of how close their faces are, he averted his eyes and went into the direction of her lips but that made him flustered even more. What's amusing is that given how brazen Diana is, she just found the whole situation funny. After all, it was a sight to see the mighty Claude's cheeks and ears heat up.

"I...uhh, wanted to uh see you-- I mean *clears throat* see how you're doing. Uh how are you doing lately?" Claude gave up and just stared at the ceiling for some unknown reason. Diana smiled and finally backed away to give Claude a breathing space. The guy's practically sweating bullets right now.

"I'm doing great actually. I'm still thankful for the gifts you sent me the other day. What brings you here? Why don't we head downstairs? I'll prepare some tea." Diana was about to walk towards the kitchen when Claude gentle grasped her left hand. 

"No, you don't have to. We can just stay here." Claude's gaze turned soft. "And didn't I tell you not to overextert yourself? Why do you have to prepare the tea when there are maids around? And where were you earlier? Shouldn't you be resting in your roo--?"

Claude's nagging was cut off when Diana suddenly placed a small peck on his cheek and giggled playfully. "Alright alright, let's just stay here. Come in chatty pants." She really loves it when she teases him like this, since Claude has always been as expressionless as a rock. 

As Diana walked passed him, Claude's ears turned more red than before. He managed to pull himself together and follow Diana into her room where it was filled with garments. His eyes spotted a bunch of baby clothes laid neatly on her bed. "These are nice" 

"Really? I'm still thinking of what to make for the baby. I've already made clothes, socks, mittens, headbands and--" There was a sudden knock on her door while Diana was talking. It was her maid, Emmy, who was at the door.

"My Lady, there's a letter for you from Lady Lilian" 

"From Lily?" Diana's eyes shone as she thanked Emmy. 

"Who's Lily?" Claude asked peeking behind Diana. "Oh, she's a dear friend of mine. I met her at a festival before and we started frequently hanging out together. Unfortunately ever since I entered the palace, I haven't seen her since. But we managed to send each other letters every now and then." There was a small hint of sadness in her eyes as she seems to be recalling their memories together. 

"I'll read it later." She genuinely smiled as she stored the letter in one of the drawers.

Claude wondered if he can make Diana smile like that as well. 

"Now, where were we?" When Diana turned around to face him, a beautiful rose appeared in front of her. 

"Pfft, now since when did you have this?" She took the rose and smelled its fragrance. 

"It's beautiful" 

Claude made it with magic in hopes of making her keep smiling like earlier. And he did, Diana smiled sweetly as Claude's gaze turned softer. They talked for the rest of the day. 

-------------

"Oh? You mean Lady Lilian? She's Count Davis Yoruk's daughter." (I honestly do not remember if Lily's father was a count or marquess or what, and I'm too lazy to check both in manhwa and in the novel so if anyone knows, I'll be grateful :)

Felix and Claude are now in the office sorting out a pile of papers. "Ahh, so that's why she asked me about her before, I didn't know she and Lady Diana are friends!"

"Do you know her?" Claude asked Felix as he noticed the sudden cheer in his voice. "Yes, I've seen her in balls and parties." 

"Are you close with her then?"

"Haha, unfortunately no, Your Majesty. She's a quiet and reserved lady. We've only shared a few words together. And the longest conversation we had was when she asked me how Lady Diana was doing inside the palace." Felix scratched his head recalling their encounter. 

Lady Lilian is one of the most popular ladies in kingdom for her beauty and grace. But she never really interacted much with people. At one point, many pointed out how the lady might be taking a liking in him as she was always standing close to him. But of course, Felix knew that wasn't really the case. He realized that he doesn't really bother her like the other guys at the party so he has actually been kinda acting as her shield. 

"....Unfortunately..?" Claude wondered while taking a glance at Felix. "Hm? Yes?"

"Are you perhaps interested with her?" His straightforward question almost made Felix's heart jumped. "Wh-what? N-no! I mean she's seems nice and I-I do want to get close to h-her if given the chance but it's not like I'm interested with her or anything! Such a question Your Majesty...haha..ha"He laughed awkwardly. 

"Felix, it was a simple question you could've just simply answered "yes" or "no" 

Felix realized that and started laughing even more awkwardly. 

Claude then continued working on his papers. Felix and Claude practically grew up together. You could say he's the closest as having a "family". Claude can read him like a book, as can Felix read Claude. But of course, Felix is easier to read as he sometimes wears his emotions on his sleeves and has his guard down around him. 

"Lady Diana must miss her very much. I think she's the only friend she's ever mentioned, right? It would be nice if the two can see each other." 

"Felix, just tell me if you wish to see Lady Lilian and not use others as an excuse" Claude replied nonchalantly. 

"What?! Your Majesty its not like that I swear! It's for the Lady Diana, I'm sure she would be delighted if she can see her again, don't you think so?"

"Hm..." Claude suddenly recalled Diana's genuine happiness when she received a simple letter. "She'd be...really happy, right?" He pondered.

"Of course, Your Majesty." 

"....."

"Felix, have the messenger give Lady Lilian of House Yoruk a royal invitation to the palace. Immediately."