Grandmother

Of course, mycroft didn't know how to retrieve colours, but Sherlock was determined to do so.
He would spend most hours in day looking for a solution, and he almost gave up one or twice along the way, but never did he realise that the answer was just down the road.

His grandmother was an elderly woman with grey curly hair. She would always wear her old frilly, floury apron, just in case she would need to bake one of her incredible soufflés. She was a kind and gentle woman who loved both of her grandsons equally, although Mycroft hadn't visited her since he was in primary school.

Mycroft never really had time for relations, but Sherlock had always loved his grandmother. He would visit her every week up until the age of six, when he downgraded to once of twice a month, after which he became slightly unfeeling and reserved.
Unfortunately she had been diagnosed with terminal cancer a when Sherlock was only 14, after which he visited her almost everyday after school.

He learned many things about his grandma that he would never have guessed, such as: she worked in Bletchley Park as a morse code interceptor in the war; she had been engaged twice before marrying her late husband John; and she had been to Buckingham Palace no less than four times to have an affair with Prince Philip.
But out of all the secrets he discovered, one stood out a mile from the rest:

The secret of colour.