🥀 Nao Egokoro x Reko Yabusame 🥀

(frickity frack the only thing I can write is angst) (also, this chapter has a section where suffocation is talked about in detail, so if you are sensitive to that, ill leave a TW before and after it happens, so you can skip over if you need to)

The main game was almost over, blame shifting from Sou- no, from Shin to Kanna as Nao stood back, frightened. There's no way she'd make it out alive, but she was so, so close...

The only thing keeping her sane was remembering one fact about the voting. 

The sacrifice takes priority. 

She had a chance, though it was slim. She just needed one person to vote for her, just one, and they could escape together. They could make it out of the game alive. The math repeated in her head, two votes for herself, one vote from another person, two for herself, one from another person. 

A nervous voice called out to the group, causing Nao to pick her head up.

"I'm afraid... it's time to vote. Please take out your tablets." Safalin spoke gently, though only a glint of sadness could be heard in her voice. 

"E-excuse me." Nao spoke, almost without thinking. "I need someone... to vote for me." She had heard the argument between voting for Shin and Kanna, the votes between them most likely wouldn't be even, but there's a chance she could... "We can... we can escape... together." her voice was softer, even slightly shaky. She sounded on the verge of tears, though she could barely feel anything at all. 

"What?" she identified the voice as Reko, confusion mixed with concern. Reko, with the power to vote for her. Reko, the person she trusted the most. Reko...

"E-even if I get an equal amount of votes as Shin and Kanna, the sacrifice takes priority. We can leave... we can leave, we can leave, please!" she cried out, tears finally breaking their way through. "Please, don't let me die here!" she screamed, her throat tight, fighting against sobs. 

"Everyone'll die if we vote for her! Don't even think 'bout it!" Q-Taro refuted, dragging the attention away from the artist. 

She can't give up, no, no, she won't die, not after the professor...

"Just vote for me! I'm gonna end up dead anyway!" Shin said, a hint of fear in his voice.

"No! V-vote for Kanna!" the small girl still refuted, determination ringing through her.

"Please..." Nao cut in, struggling to keep her breath. "Just one of you... please... leave with me..."

"I'm sorry, we cannot halt the voting any longer..." Safalin's voice, almost taunting, called out. 

Nao's hands fearfully shook as she cast her votes, anticipation and dread filling her mind as she took shaky breaths. 

"Thank you." Safalin said. "...I've received all votes. I'll be sending them to your tablets now."

The tablet screens went dark, filled soon by four faces and vote counters. Anxiety filled the room, now quiet. 

One vote for Shin, one vote for Kanna, one vote for Nao.

Two votes for Shin, two votes for Kanna, two votes for Nao.

...Three votes for Shin

...Three votes for Kanna.

Three votes for Nao.

Three votes... three votes, three votes, three votes.

"Who..." Keiji spoke up, cracking through the silence. "Who voted for Nao...?" A defeated look remained on his face, though he seemed to try and hide it. The rest of the group was shaken, ghostly pale looks on some of their faces.