Chapter 28: Part of You

Start from the beginning

You were quiet, watching him fumble with it, eventually just hanging his head in defeat. "You know." You eventually started, "it's really sweet that [Crazy Diamond] can only fix up others. It's... selfless, I guess. I do wish you could heal yourself though, now I'm going to worry more." You reached up and pushed the wet hair out of his face. You gave him a reassuring smile. "You look fine, I don't know why you do your hair up like that in the first place."

Josuke stared. "What?"

Hahaha, I'm in danger.

You recalled one of the first times you every spoke with Miko and Kazue, how they made mention that Josuke took his hair style pretty seriously.

Ok, recovery mode.

Don't show fear, don't show fear. You swallowed over a lump in your throat. "I just meant that I don't know why you do it. To be completely honest, I don't know much about you in the first place." You flashed a smile that might've been a pinch too stiff, a little too wide, but it seemed to work just fine.

Josuke sort of just... looked away. "Yeah, I guess you're right. It's just a bit of a long story." He flushed a little. "Actually, it's kind of stupid... and more than a little embarrassing."

"I'll trade you. A secret for a secret, you know?"

Josuke was back to fidgeting with his hair. As it began to dry and clump, the strands took on a wavy texture, and despite how he fought to keep it back, sweeping it back or behind an ear, it kept falling back into place on his forehead, strands mingling with lashes as he tried to fight it away from his eyes.

"Or um, you know." you felt along your arms, looking for the familiar bump of an elastic around your wrist. You looped it over your fingers holding it up for Josuke to see. "I could um, do your hair."

The words sounded a lot dumber out loud. You shrunk your shoulders up around your ears, offering an embarrassed shrug while Josuke looked on wordlessly. "Or you know, ignore that. Moving right along, let's talk about something else..."

"I didn't say no." He had a smile in his voice, and the corners of his eyes crinkled along with it. "It might be nice." He finished the thought speaking to the sand, anxiously clawing at the back of his neck.

You fought a grin and the rosey blush careening it's way onto you face. Josuke caught your eye and challenged you with an impish grin of his own. He rolled his sleeves back up to his elbows and plopped down in the sand. He tilted his head up to look at you. "That is uh, if you still want to."

"Sure, but uh, you don't have to talk about it if you don't want to. I was just joking." You kneeled down in the sand behind him, hovering your fingers over his scalp. "This is free of charge, I guess."

You hesitated on closing the distance, it felt like a strangely intimate line you were about to cross. Sitting so close, his cologne was intoxicating, mingling with the salt of the sea and creating a myriad of pleasant feelings and scents. Your heart raced as you slowly touched your fingers down.

Josuke jolted when you made contact, spooking you backwards.

"Sorry! You, um, startled me." He chuckled nervously. He had leaned forward on his knees, hands hanging on the edge of his legs, his fingertips drummed out a frantic rhythm on his shins. You straightened up, readjusting in the sand so that you were once again behind him comfortably, however leaning out to try and get a look at his face.

He looked tense, like every single muscle in his body was on edge, drumming out that same frantic beat with his fingers, eyes locked on the sand. "Hey, relax. I'm not going to hurt you." You gingerly reached out your fingers, once again hesitating. "You don't have to do this you know, if you aren't comfortable I can stop-"