Chapter 18: Too Close For Comfort

Friday came and went with nothing notable happening. Other than saying hi to Josuke and Okuyasu in the morning and then finding out Kazue was out sick wasn't exactly a mind boggling development.

Even the weekend passed without fanfare. It was starting to feel as if your whole life revolved around being at school, which being a high schooler, I guess it kind of does.

Monday morning was announced not to the sound of trumpets, rather to the nerve wracking tones of your alarm clock and the chatter of spring birds on the morning commute to school.

It was overcast and dreary, even for a Monday. Though the sun was in the sky, it was impossible to pinpoint its exact location through the thick grey comforter of clouds. The muted light even felt as if it were turning the landscape grey as well, or at the very least dulling the colors.

The classroom was quite that morning, more so than usual when you walked in. Everyone who was already there seemed to be looking in the same two spots, at you, or at the desk that sat in front of yours.

Kazue's desk.

All you could do was join them in staring at the tiny glass vase and the delicate stem that almost seemed to bend under the weight of the bulb at the end. A thin white ribbon was tied around the neck of the little bottle. You took slow steps forward, eyes transfixed on the frail and lithe thing. You looked around for any answers, but none came from the stuck lips of your classmates as they watched you take your seat behind the ornament.

Your heartbeat marched evenly, but a feeling of dread still pulled at your insides as the classroom filled in around you, most of which took on the same hushed tone when they saw the flower. You barely noticed, if at all, the reactions of your peers.

When your teacher came in to start home room, not even a faint or breathy whisper could be heard.

"Now, I'm sure that most of you have noticed the elephant in the room." He drawled. "This past Friday your classmate, Kazue Ebina, was in an accident."

Your heart dropped.

"He is currently alright. In fact, from what I hear he's in stable condition up at the hospital. If you want to send him or his family condolences, we will be collecting letters and things like that to give to his family..." The voice of your teacher continued to blather on, but you had lost focus.

The water in the little glass vase trembled a little as a bubble of air that had been sticking to the inside of the glass shuddered loose.

What happened, Kazue? What did you do?

He had promised, he had promised that he'd be back.

"I'll see you tomorrow then, right?" That smile that he'd been hiding had finally come back, but now-

"Does anyone mind volunteering to deliver these letters to him and his family up at the hospital? I understand it might not be the most interesting assignment, but it would be greatly appreciated..." The teacher's voice suddenly came back into focus. You looked around the classroom, but nobody had volunteered themselves.

You raised your hand. "I'll do it, Mr. Matsushita."

Your teacher gave you a tight smile. "I appreciate your dedication, miss (l/n), but I'm not too sure that you'll know exactly where to go."

"I can help her, Mr. Matsushita." A voice from across the classroom sounded out. Somehow, even with only grey light filtering through the window, his colorful eyes still seemed to shine undisturbed. Josuke was leaning forward on his desk, his hand extended in a hesitant raise. His eyes flickered in your direction.