Confidence (Chapter 1)

"What's that suppose to mean?" Anthony put his shovel in the ground. He brushed back his black hair from his face while reeking with a nasty smell that farmers had. Anthony helped his mother with the farm work, while his father worked as a head royal guard.

 "I know! It sounds really important though." Me and Hannah sat underneath a big tree near the orchard Anthony was working on. Anthony joined us, but stood, trying to not bring the smell near us.

 "Your mother is confusing, but I like her."

"Maybe we could ask Lady about it?" Hannah suggested.

"And get me in trouble for being off work? Not happening, demon." Hannah growled at Anthony. Anthony loved teasing Hannah, unlike me. Hannah wasn't to be messed with, yet Anthony tested her time and time again.

 "Hey, let's not fight-"

"Shut up, Samuel! Let me do this by myself." Hannah got up, her eyes sharpened. Anthony smirked, while grabbing his shovel from beside him. 

 Hannah's claws began to show, her horns peaked from her head. Her white snow skin began to turn a blue similar to her eyes. Opening her mouth showed a bunch of sharp teeth, it looked like she had knifes as teeth. The tail, shaped like a upside down pointed heart, swayed near my face. I sat up and stood back from them. This always happened, and always ended in a tie, since they'd knock each other out, leaving me to clean up their mess and get them to the town's clinic, which was never opened on the days we met together.

 "Guys, please. I don't want to clean another mess-"

 "Come at me, stupid excuse for a demon!"

"YOU ASKED FOR IT, TREE BOY!"

 My body began to shake a bit. I hated this, but luckily I had help this time.

 "HEY! Ya'll better not be fighting on this here farm! So help me I outta bust your arses!" A strong, elder lady had started to walk up on the hill we were on. She looked as sweaty and as dirty as Anthony was. Following her was a chicken. "Anthony! I outta beat your arse!" She screamed.

 "M-mother! I was just-" Anthony dropped his shovel, and Hannah reformed back in a second.

 "No! Get your arse back to work before I beat it was my paddle!" As soon as Lady said those words, Anthony rushed back to the orchard. Hannah hid behind Samuel.

 Lady was Anthony's mother. She had run the farm with her husband when my father and mother had just started their ruling. Lady was a short elder woman who wouldn't let anyone tell her what was left or right. The whole kingdom's food comes from her farm and another one down near the gates of the city exited, but this farm was better known, since it's been here for a long time. My relationship with her is with Anthony, since he's been my best friend since we were toddlers.

 "Ah, Samuel, sorry ya had to see that, but you know that little maid gets him going quicker than when Janet and her chicks run to get some morning food." Referring to the chicken beside her.

 "It's fine, this happens all the time, I've gotten used to it by now." I sighed. They never listened to me, so I've just stopped trying at this point. "Oh, Lady, my mother told me something, but I don't understand it. Can you help me?"

"What? I can't hear ya." Lady teased while tearing my ears apart from my head.

 I started to explain the situation with the history book and my mother. I always came to Lady when it came to my mother's teachings, since Lady made them easier to understand. Once I was finished explaining, Lady sighed and grabbed my shoulder.

 "Samuel, soon I won't be here to help ya all the darn time. You need to start to understand your mother's teachings alone, knowing that you'll be the Lord sooner than you think." Lady smiled. "And you need to speak up louder, cause I can't hear ya. I ain't as young as your mother, ya know?"