Chapter 1

Gabbys POV:
----------------
I woke to the sound of Ms McLeary coming down the hallway. Her black heels loudly hitting the floor. As she stormed in, I pretended to sleep. "Get up you little brats!" She spat, she came over and whipped my blanket of me, then did the same to Katy, who was on the bunk above me. "Get up quickly and do your chores, NOW!" She shouted at us, "yes Ms McLeary" we replied in unison. Every morning I was woken to the sound of Ms McLeary storming up the hall, at 6.30am she'd come in and say the same thing each time. "Do your chores bla bla bla" but we always did them or we would get beaten. I got out of the uncomfortable bed and walked over the cold floor to open the blinds. "Apparently there's a family coming in tomorrow" whispered Katy, "really?!" I said, shocked as nobody ever comes. "Yup, I heard Ms McLeary last night on the phone" she explained, "well, I'm not going to get my hopes up" I sighed. With in 10 minutes we were dressed and had made our bed. I walked into the hall to check my chore sheet of today - Thursday the 20th of May. I swear Ms McLeary picks on me, she always gives me the worst chores, but as I said she'd beat me if I don't do it.

**FLASHBACK**
(Earlier this week)
"YOU THINK YOUR BETTER THAN ME?" Ms McLeary shouted on my face, "HOW DARE YOU DISOBEY ME" I looked down and my feet, fighting back tears of fear. "YOU NEVER, EVER NOT DO YOUR CHORES, DO YOU UNDERSTAND LADY?" she screamed at me, "yes Ms" I mumbled, "I SAID DO YOU UNDERSTAND?" She grabbed my arm and roughly shoved me into the corner where I hit my head, "y-yes Ms" I replied, gulping. She came up to my face, stared me in the eye before slapping me across the face, "GET OUT" she cried. I quickly walked out before running to my room, shutting the door and dropping to the floor, unable to fight back the tears. I held my cheek, it felt like it was on fire, I noticed I had a big bruise on my arm from when she grabbed my and my head hurt a lot, I just sat there helpless and cried.

** FLASHBACK OVER**

I blinked away a few tears before doing my first job, sweep the nursery floors, I walked down the creaky stairs and to the left into the nursery, there were never any babies in their, well one one ever put a baby in this adoption center. She stomach loudly growled, we didn't get our first meal until 9.30am and it was only 7am just now. I picked up the brush and started to sweep the dusty floor. I thought what it would be like if I got adopted a nice, large and loving family, with plenty on money, I wiped the visions from my mind, that would never happen. My next job was to do the laundry, I was the oldest child here and so I got the harder and jobs you had to put a lot of effort into. Before I knew it, I was finished my morning jobs and it was time to eat. We got one bowl of porridge and an apple with a Drink of water and were not allowed to speak to anyone else. There were only 9 kids in this house at the moment but new kids came in regularly, unfortunate for them. We had me, Katy, Simon, Penny, Dylan, Connor, Zoe, Lizzie, Rory and Albert. Soon breakfast was over and until 10.30 we had a break but we weren't allowed out of our rooms. Me and Katy shared a room- Katy was 11, and she was my very best friend. I don't have any other friends and we never got sent to school, we got lessons every so often by this man but they were not fun. I don't think it's legal to not go to school but whatever. I wandered up to me and Katy's box room to find Katy crying on her bed. "What's the matter?" I ask, "Ms..Ms McLeary she beat me...again" she cried clutching her fingers, "what happend?" I gasp as I climb on the top bunk beside her. "I was doing the dishes just before breakfast and I accidentally smashed a bowl, she made me take of my shoes and walk over the shards on the floor, then shoved me into her office, and, and she screamed and screamed at me, and well she kept bending my fingers back and pulling my hair" I pulled her into a hug and told her everything would be okay. Her fingers were out of place and bruised and her feet were bleeding and cut. Before I knew it it was time to get back to the chores. My next one was pick the tomatoes from the greenhouse outside, that was literally the only time I was allowed outside, I'm not sure why she trusted me not to just climb over the wall and run away, I guess I never plucked the courage. I took my time, inhaling the warm fresh air before Ms McLeary shouted me in and sent me to do my next chore which was to make dinner for everyone. I found Katy in the kitchen aswell chopping some carrots and putting them into the soup pan, an onion and leek was out for me to chop, and so I did, Ms McLeary in the room making sure me and Katy didn't talk, Katy finished chopping her vegetables and was sent away to do another chore. I was told to sit and wait for the soup to cook. Eventually It was ready, I glanced at the clock to find it was 6.30pm already, I dished the soup then rand the dinner bell. As usual we ate in silence and them were sent to our room for the night. "sleep STRAIGHT away" Ms McLeary growled at everyone before shooing us away. "Why did I get out in this rubbish care home" I moaned to Katy as I but my Pj's on, "I don't know, bad luck I guess" she replied, gasping in pain as she climbed up the metal ladder to her bed. "Do your finger and feet still hurt?" I asked as I got into bed, "yeah" she sighed, "better get to sleep before the witch hears us" "yeah great idea, night" I laughed sarcastically, "night" she replied. And I slowly drifted off to sleep.