It was thus decided that Jasper and Edmund would come over that night for dinner. Upon hearing these news, Mrs Rosewood fussed over preparing for it.

Juliet had to help Sophie out because besides from the maid, she was the only person living under the roof that knew how to cook.

"I'm so sorry, Lady Juliet, that you have to do these menial work," Sophie apologized again.

"Nonsense," Juliet chided lightly as she watched the savoury broth simmer away. She enjoyed Sophie's company and it was honestly preferable to spending time with the fussy step-mother. Besides, she liked chopping up the spices and ingredients and make flavorful food for the guests- especially since Jasper and Edmund were coming.

"I'm not sure if I should tell you this, m'lady." Sophie frowned. She tucked a lock of hair behind her ear nervously. "You've always been kind to me and I feel that I inform you this."

"Speak." Juliet cocked her head to the right.

"As you know, I accompanied Lady Rosewood and Lady Titania to Sir Bernard's residence," Sophie began slowly. "One night, I was due to deliver food to Sir Bernard's chambers and I overheard Titania and him talking."

Juliet frowned. What was her sister doing with Sir Bernard in his private chambers in the night? But then, she suddenly realized that she had done the same thing at Edmund's house. Perhaps her sister was just visiting her fiance to find out more about him- just like what Edmund had done.

"What did you hear?" she asked.

"I...I can't say." Sophie dabbed her forehead. "I will get into trouble."

"Fear not, Sophie," Juliet said softly. "I will keep whatever I hear from you to myself. Rest assure."

"Sir...Sir Bernard told Lady Titania that he understood that she was a woman who couldn't be tamed," Sophie continued in a wavering voice. "And he promised her that once he married her, he would allow her to do whatever she wanted, provided she gave him the same courtesy."

Juliet frowned. Strange as it sounded, how Sir Bernard and her sister treated each other was their private business. How was this a matter of importance? "I don't get what you are trying to say, Sophie," she said slowly.

Sophie whispered, "Lady Titania got really happy. She started squealing about how she was delighted to have such an open-minded husband but Sir Bernard then shushed her and told her that all of that depended on one condition."

"A condition?" Juliet repeated skeptically.

"Yes," Sophie continued fearfully. "He told her that if she managed to seduce Lord Edmund and cheat him out of his assets, she would be duly rewarded."

"Impossible." Juliet shook her head. It was true that Sir Bernard disliked Edmund but he didn't seem like the type to be so mercernary and cruel. But then again, this was the same man who impregnated her best friend.

"Are you sure this was what you heard?" she asked.

"Yes, m'am," Sophie replied. "At that moment, the door opened and I pretended that I had only arrived at the door then."

"I see," Juliet whispered. "Thank-you for telling me all these, Sophie."

"Please don't apologize, m'am," Sophie said softly. "You're like my sister, if you pardon my imprudence."

Juliet smiled and her gaze flickered to the soup. She pondered over Sophie's words and found it rather puzzling. Did Sir Bernard really said all those to her innocent sister? Was that why Titania suggested to have a dinner with Edmund?