Miracles Happen-Logan Thibault

Start from the beginning

I looked around the group to see a few people nodding as if they understood why the promise meant nothing.

"It's been three months," I continued. "I thought it would get easier but it's only gotten harder. I listen to all of your stories about getting better and it's wonderful, truly. I'm happy for all of you. I just. . . When is it my turn? When am I going to be able to get up in the morning without tears streaming down my face? When am I going to be able to go throughout my day without feeling like my heart is in another country? When am I going to be happy again?"

The room was completely silent when I finished. I stood up and ran out of the room before anyone could tell me that everything was going to be okay.

The next week it felt like I got worse instead of getting better. Whenever I started to think about leaving the house, my depression stopped me. I worked from home, so staying home wasn't that much of a problem.

Even before Logan was enlisted, I worked as a writer for an online company, allowing me to work from home. After we got engaged and decided to move in together, Logan turned one of our spare bedrooms into an office for me.

"Hi, sweetie."

"Hi, Mom," I said slowly. "What are you doing here?"

"Well, I was worried you haven't been eating so I brought lunch."

Before I could object, she walked into the kitchen and started preparing lunch for us. As we ate, I didn't talk.

"So," Mom said, clearing her throat. "Are you still attending that group counseling session every week?"

"I am," I said, halfheartedly.

"Is it working?" She pushed.

"Not really," I scoffed. "It's just sitting and listening to how other people got over their grief. I leave more depressed than when I walked in."

"Sweetie," she sighed.

"Please don't," I said, my breath getting caught in my throat. "I am so tired of people telling me to let it go or move on. I can't. Don't you get it? I love Logan more than anything in the world. Losing him. . . The idea of him never coming home. . . There's nothing worse."

Mom reached across the table and grabbed my hand. "I'm sorry," she whispered. "We didn't mean to force you to move on. It just. . . It breaks my heart seeing you like this, sweetie. Your father and I want nothing more to help you but, the truth is, there's nothing we can say or do to make any of this better."

* * * * *

After Mom left, I couldn't help but think about Logan. He's all I think about. The next couple of days, I thought about what Mom said. She was right. There's nothing anyone can do to make this better. The only thing would be if they found him.

I decided to go to the next therapy session today. I was embarrassed with my blow-up last time but working through everything is going to take time.

I opened the door, my breath getting caught in my throat when I saw a tired soldier on my doorstep. My eyes filled with tears as I took in the sight of my tired fiancé.

"Logan?" My voice broke as my eyes filled with tears.

"Hi, baby," he whispered.

I jumped into his arms, dropping my keys and my bag on the floor. Logan laughed as he wrapped his arms around my waist, pulling me closer into his chest and holding me tightly.

Tears streamed down my face as I held my fiancé. I felt Logan take a shaky breath as he tightened his hold on me.

"I don't understand," I stuttered as I slowly pulled out of his embrace, my arms still wrapped around him. "They said. . . I thought. . . They weren't sure. . . I can't believe you're home."

Logan smiled as he reached up and cupped my cheek in his hand, wiping a tear off my face with his thumb.

"I've missed you so much, darling."

I grabbed his face and roughly pressed my lips to his. I felt him smile as he started kissing me back. Our lips moved in sync as we held each other.

I broke the kiss and leaned my forehead against his. We stayed in each other's arms as we caught our breaths.

"I'm so happy you're home, baby," I whispered.

"Me too," he chuckled as he tightened his arms around my waist.

"Please," I stuttered. "Please don't ever leave me again. I can't. . . I barely. . . Please."

Logan leaned back and caught a fresh tear that escaped. He didn't let go of my face.

"I promise," he whispered. "I am never leaving you again, my love."