Thanksgiving Chaos-Zac Efron

"It's not going to be that bad."

"You don't understand," I sighed into the phone. "My family is crazy."

Zac and I have been dating for two years. We met when I was assigned to write an article about his Netflix show. We continued talking after and when my article came out, he finally asked me on a date.

Today was the day before Thanksgiving. Zac was back in LA filming his new movie, Gold, and I was driving to San Francisco to go to my parent's house for the weekend.

Here's the thing about my family, I love them but they are a bit much. By "a bit", I mean a lot. Every holiday goes like this; happy, angry, offensive, fights, silence in separate rooms, doors opening, and people going on with the night as if nothing happened.

It's exhausting.

"I know your family is crazy, babe, but you haven't seen them since before COVID. It'll be good for you to go."

"But," I stuttered.

"And you get to see your nieces and nephews."

"I guess they're worth it," I mumbled.

"Exactly," he chuckled.

"Ten bucks says the minute I walk in the door, my mom's going to ask where you are," I teased.

"I'm sorry," he sighed. "I wish I was."

"I didn't mean that as a guilt trip, babe," I sighed. "I meant it as a joke."

"I love you," he said, his voice sounding tired. "I'm sorry I couldn't be there for you this weekend."

"I love you too, babe," I said sweetly. "You sound tired. You feeling okay?"

"Yeah," he said, not sounding convincing. "I'm heading back to the hotel."

"Wow," I said, looking at the clock on my dashboard. "You guys filmed late."

"They wanted to get this last shot before the weekend," he sighed.

"That's nice," I said, trying to sound positive. "Are you and Dylan going to see your mom tomorrow?"

"Yeah. I'm picking him up in the morning and we're spending the whole day with her."

"That's sweet of you."

"I miss you," he said, breaking the silence that fell between us.

"Well, I'll be home by Sunday. Friday, depending on how dinner goes tomorrow."

"Try and be optimistic," Zac chuckled.

"Ehh," I said teasingly. I smiled when he laughed.

"Damn, I love you."

"I love you too."

* * * * *

I tried to be optimistic, for Zac, but that optimism only lasted so long. We were in the middle of dinner when my "holier-than-thou" sister brought up a topic she and I disagreed on. And you didn't disagree with Y/S/N.

"I still can't believe you moved in with an actor," my sister said, her voice dripping with judgment.

"We had been dating for a year when we first moved in together," I defended. "We thought it was time."

"But you aren't even married."

I couldn't control my anger any longer. My sister always did this. She is the perfect mix of a Karen and a Mommy Blogger. It's her way. That's it. She's right. You're wrong.