Chapter 17: The Date

Start from the beginning

"Oh. I assumed they were because you're teammates."

"Pucey's actually okay, but he tolerates Flint — and I don't get along with people like Flint, if that's what you're thinking," said Terence. "I just stay civil with people like him. Besides, he doesn't particularly like me, anyway."

"But why?"

"I'm a half-blood," he replied. "You know how most Slytherins are — if you're not a pureblood, you're most likely going to be looked down on."

Jessica was mildly shocked to hear that he was a half-blood. Sure, it wasn't uncommon in the wizarding world especially at this day and age, but he never brought it up in the letters they sent over the summer. She realized that their topics always revolved around more casual things, and she actually really didn't know him yet. Then again, it wasn't like they had been friends for that long.

The rest of the time spent together went smoothly. Their conversations flowed pretty well after sort of breaking the ice at the Three Broomsticks, so it made Jessica feel less awkward about having gone out with Terence at all. She knew his intentions behind this was a date, and while Jessica did have a good time with him, she wasn't sure if she saw it the same way he did. Was she supposed to have butterflies whenever he said something sweet? Were there supposed to be sparks during a date? She obviously did not have any experience in this field and she cringed for even asking herself these kinds of questions in her head.

Maybe I should just let things be and see what happens by the end of this, she told herself as they walked to Honeydukes. There shouldn't be this much overthinking in a date, right?

Oliver, Carson, and Percy so happened to also be inside the sweets shop

Oliver, Carson, and Percy so happened to also be inside the sweets shop. The three boys, along with some of their other roommates, were planning a little game night that evening. None of them wanted to miss the opportunity since it was one of the rare moments that Percy agreed to do something, well, fun. They would be playing their toned-down version of truth or dare wherein the players who didn't want to answer a question would be forced to eat Exploding Bonbons, Hiccough Sweets, and other magical sweets with exciting side effects.

"Can we please not add in the Shrieking Sherbets?" Percy grumbled. "I don't want us to get into trouble and ruin my chances of getting Head Boy next year."

"Hey, you promised the others you would join the game without question," Carson said.

"Yeah, but —"

"Come on, mate. We won't get the chance to do this again because Quidditch season is starting soon," Oliver said, grabbing ahold of the exact sweets that Percy said he didn't want.

"Don't you mean because we have to focus on our N.E.W.T. classes?" Percy said pointedly.

"Oh, right," Oliver chuckled, almost forgetting that he was at the N.E.W.T. level already. "That too."