Chapter 16 | Race

Start from the beginning

I walked up behind him and put a hand on the kid's shoulder. "Nah." I looked at him and smiled. "What if the Delancey's come out swingin', will we hear it?" I asked, playfully swing punches in Les' direction. "No!" He yelled. I put my hand on his shoulder again. "Thatta boy," I softly chuckled. The kid really was innocent. He shouldn't have gotten into this mess. But to be fair he gave us the sense to do it in the first place. I sighed, and I'm sure the others did as well. Suddenly, there was a soft noise in the background. Slowly, the noise turned into words, and the words became clearer. 

When you've got a million voices singing
Who can hear a lousy whistle blow?
And the World will know!

From all directions, stampedes of kids flooded the square. I turned on my heel and watched the boy's look of amazement as the square started getting crowded. I caught a familiar face leading his army into the sea of people and the happiness I felt didn't keep me from doing something stupid. I sprinted, weaving my way around obstacles and jumped onto Spot, hugging him koala style. He laughed "Well hello to you too Racer," Spot said. "Weak turn out ain't it," I laughed, sarcastically. He rolled his eyes and put on his signature smirk, turning me so he was holding me bridal style. 

The World will feel the fire and finally know!

He walked me back to the group and we walked with them down a narrow path that was made so we could get through. It was a little embarrassing being carried like that by Spot in front of basically every kid in New York, but I though it was kinda sweet nonetheless. 

Strike! Strike! Strike!

"De-ah me. What have we here?" I asked. Spot put me down. We were at the very front of The World building and that good for nothing friend of Pulitzer's, Seitz plus a group of policemen were standing at the door. Jack and David walked up to Seitz, spoke a few words, then walked inside, Seitz in tow. 

As soon as the three were inside, Mush and Blink turned to me and Spot, crossed their arms, and raised an eyebrow. All of it in sync, it was kinda creepy. "Yes?" Spot and I asked in unison, mirroring their movements. The four of us stood there for a minute before breaking down in laughter. "What was the whole carryin' thing about?" Blink asked between fits of giggles. "I gotta say, Race, you looked a lot happier with Spot carryin' you than with Jack." Mush added. I blushed. "Jack was carryin' me against my will," I explained. "Hmmm, in'eresting," Spot said. "I'se don' recall you'se evah givin' me permission." 

I slapped him on the arm. "Shut up, I'se trying ta prove a point he-ah," I scolded Spot. The three laughed harder while I crossed my arms. "Shut up," I said again. A few minutes passed by before Jack and David came back out of the building. "Hey, fellas, they's ovah he-ah!" Spot poited out. "So what happened?" I asked eagerly. "Yeah Jack, tell us." Blink insisted. Others threw in their own comments but Jack, nor David said anything. Jack leaned down and whispered something in Les's ear. They shared a small smile before Jack picked up the little kid, threw him on his shoulders, and faced the ocean of kids that had come to protest for the newsies rights, but their own. Jack smiled. "We beat 'em!" He yelled. We all cheered. "Yeah!!" I screamed. Who would've though that a bunch of ragged, dirty, homeless boys could beat one of the richest men in New York. How the hell did it happen.

I felt Spot grab my shoulders and turn me around to face him. He hesitated for probably half a second before he grabbed my face and slammed his lips on to mine. 

It felt like everything had stopped. It felt like everything had gone silent and time paused in place. None of it did, but it felt like it. Spot quickly pulled away. "Race. I'm so sorry I-I-" I cut him off by crashing my lips back on to his. I wrapped my arms around Spot's neck and ran my fingers through his hair. As I guessed, it was really soft. I heard the cheering around me change from celebration to cat calling, laughing, and comments regarding bets. Shit, I thought. Now I owe Mush two bucks. Ah who cares. It's worth it if I get Spot. I pulled away, keeping our foreheads connected. Spot smiled and he pecked my lips one more time. "I love ya Racer," He whispered, though clearly not quiet enough because Albert yelled: "Dere ya have it folks! Spot Conlon, King 'O Brooklyn, has a soft spot fo-ah Racetrack Higgins!" He wasn't heard to well though because of the commotion going on, but the Manhattan newsies sure heard him. Spot and I broke apart and yelled together: "Shut up Albert!" I fished two bucks out of my pocket and turned to Much. He, Jack, and Blink had their arms around each other, swaying, and singing: "love is in da ai-ah tonight!" 

"He-ah," I said, slightly annoyed, handing the cash to Mush who was grinning. "Told you'se." 

I turned back to Spot who had a cocked eyebrow. "Mush bet me two bucks that you'se liked me back," I explained. He smirked and wrapped his arm around me. "So are we's gonna be invited to da wedding or what?" Mush asked. He was holding Blink's hand.  I rolled my eyes. "Sure Mushy, you'se can be da bridesmaid." he smiled. "What about me?" Albert asked excitedly. "I'se not sure Albert. Ya promise not ta screw things up?" I asked. He nodded his head. "Okay den," Spot said. "You'se can be da flowah goil." 

"Yay!" Albert cheered, bouncing around pretending to throw flowers. I shook my head and layed it on Spot's shoulder. He turned to me. "Do ya maybe wanna spen' da night with me in Brooklyn?" He asked nervously. I shook my head. "Sorry Spot. Dis is a lot ta unpack. I need ta play it easy tanight." Spot nodded his head. "I'se understand."

Suddenly, the wagon from the refuge pulls up being driven by Snyder. Les, Swifty, and Blink all give Jack a warning but Denton assures him it's all good. Several kids are let out from the back, last but certainly not least, is Crutchie.

A/N: Hey guys! I didn't have enough time to proofread this because it's 4:15 in the morning and I have to get up at 10 to catch a flight back home so sorry if this is bad. Lemme know if there's something I need to fix. Also sorry if the beginning is confusing because of the weird format. Love y'all!

- Spencer