12. Bet

Third Person

"Why are you sitting next to me again?" Nabin asked Yeonjun, who was currently sitting next to her on the bus.

"Because I don't want to stand and sit with strangers." He responded.

"I don't care, move." She deadpanned.

"Fine, I'll move after I ask this question. Did you study the pages I told you to on Thursday?" He asked.

"Well, I didn't remember the page number, so I immediately went straight to bed."

"Nabin." He crossed his arms.
"I told your mom I will help you pass the exams."

"I know, I know, but I can't help it! I hate studying because it's boring." She commented.

"I hate it too, but do you see me complaining? Don't you want to graduate?"

"Yes..."

"Then let's go through it together after my work since I didn't come on Friday." He said.

"Can we go study somewhere else instead of my house? I don't want you in my room again."

"Sure, where do you want to go?"

"Let's go to Lucky Moon Tea! I want to get free boba from Joohee." She said.

"Oh? Joohee works there?" He asked and Nabin nodded her head.

"She's only working there because Beo— I mean her crush works there." She stated.

*Was she about to say Beomgyu? Because he's the only person I know who works there.* Yeonjun thought.

"Anyways! I'm gonna take a nap, so wake me up when it's our stop." She told him before closing her eyes and drifted into dreamland.

*This is the first time we had a nice conversation together. I think I'm slowly growing on her.* He smiled.

Nabin

"Hey Joohee, can you get me one matcha milk tea with extra boba?" I asked before looking at Yeonjun. "What do you want?"

"You pick, anything is fine." He said before waving at Beomgyu, who just came out of the staff room.

"Get him the same as mine." I told her.

"Okay, so you want two matcha milk tea with extra boba?" Joohee repeated my order and I nodded my head. "Alright, just sit down somewhere and I'll give them to you when I'm done."

"Okay." I said before walking up to an empty table at the back and took a seat. I rested my chin on my palm and stared at random things in the room.

Why is taking Yeonjun so long? If I knew he was gonna waste my time, then I would've stayed home and watched my drama.

Since Yeonjun was taking his sweet time talking to Beomgyu, I was about to get up and go to the restroom until I saw a familiar face come in the store.

"Eunji?" I called her name as I got up from my seat and stared at her. She turned her head and raised her brows.

"Nabin?" She slowly approached me.
"Oh my god.... it is you! I haven't seen you in years!" She suddenly hugged me.

"Yeah, it's been 4 years right?" I said and she nodded her head.

This is Kim Eunji. Before I met Joohee, she used to be my best friend until she moved away. At first, we tried our best to stay in touch, but it didn't last long because we never had time for each other.

"Wow," She pulled away and scanned me from head to toe. "You got more pretty than the last time I saw you!"

"So did you." I smiled. Not gonna lie, this is lowkey awkward...
"So what are you doing back in town?"

"My mom had a better job offer here, so we're moving back." She said.
"By the way, do you go to Eternal High?"

"Yes, why? Are you transferring there?" I asked and she nodded.

"Now I don't have to worry about making new friends because I have you!" She beamed.

"I—"

"Here's your boba." Yeonjun said as he handed me my drink with a smile.

"Nabin!" Eunji looked at Yeonjun.
"Who is this handsome guy? Your boyfriend?"

"Ew, hell no! Why would this ugly be my boyfriend?!" I questioned.
"Also, where's Joohee? I thought she was supposed to give me the drink, not you."

"Her manager called for her, so she told me to give it to you." He responded.

"Wow... not only he's good looking, he even has a nice voice." Eunji commented, making me look at her weirdly.

"Um, thanks?" Yeonjun awkwardly smiled.

"No problem, handsome." She winked at him.

Ok, this is not the Eunji I used to know. She became more social and confident, which I don't have a problem with, but I literally cringed when I saw her winking at Yeonjun.

"Anyways... Nabin, are you ready for tutoring?" Yeonjun asked. Nope.

"I guess." I shrugged.

"It seems like you guys are gonna be busy, so I'm gonna go ahead and order my drink." Eunji said.

"Okay, bye." I waved.

"Bye, see you at school tomorrow." She waved back before walking away. I sat back down in my seat and Yeonjun took a seat beside me.

"Out of all the places, why are you sitting next to me? Go sit in front of me." I told him.

"But it's easier to teach you this way."

"I don't care, I already let you sit beside me on the bus so move."

"How about we make a bet. If you pass the English test this Friday, I promised I won't sit next to you anymore."

"And if I fail?"

"You'll have to go on a date with me for a week."

"Yah, do you want to die?" I asked with clenched teeth.

"Hahaha..." He laughed awkwardly.
"Just kidding...."

"How about this? Instead of one week, let's change it to three days—"

"Deal!" He immediately cut me off and accepted the offer.

"Okay, it's settled. Now hurry up and teach me English, so I can pass that stupid test and win the bet!"

"Then hurry up and take out your textbook." He said and I nodded. I quickly unzipped my backpack and searched for the book.

After looking for it for a good minute, I slowly closed it and awkwardly scratched my head.

"Um, I think I accidentally left the book at school..."

"That's okay, you can use mine." He smiled as he took his textbook out from his backpack and gave it to me.

"Thanks..." I mumbled.
I hope he didn't hear that—

"You're welcome." Damn, I suck at mumbling.