Second Chances by Valerie Maarten

Synopsis

SOMETIMES WHEN YOU ARE FACED WITH THE REALITIES OF LIFE…

Kadi Crowe has spent her entire life believing in the innocence of her father, convicted of murder.  But could she prove it?

ONLY TO BE BURDENED BY THE HARSHNESS AND BITTERNESS OF HATRED…

Dain McKnight waited for the day to come when he could wield his own brand of justice.  The only justice he believed fitting for a cold-blooded killer.

MERCIFUL FATE WOULD STEP IN AND OFFER SECOND CHANCES…

PROLOGUE

       Hanna tucked Little Kadi Crowe in her bed and told her one of her favorite bedtime stories, but before she got to the end of the tale Kadi was fast asleep…a serene smile on her cherub-looking face.  Kadi always loved a story with a happily ever after.

       Hanna leaned over and kissed her tenderly on the forehead.  Of all the children she’s babysat for over the years, she loved Little Kadi the most. Kadi was kind, considerate and compassionate and she was adored her spirit.

       She looked down at the sleeping child.  Her heart swelled with pride knowing that in a small way she was responsible for what type of woman Kadi was going to become.  And Hanna wanted great things for her…and one day she wanted her to have her own personal happily ever after.

      Hanna turned off the light and left Kadi to her pleasant dreams.  In just a little while Mr. & Mrs. Crowe would be coming home, so she only had a short time to do what needed to be done.  Something that becoming harder and harder to put off.

      She picked up the phone.

      “Hello.”

      Hanna’s heart thundered in her chest.  She wasn’t sure if it was merely anticipation or trepidation.  At this moment, it was probably a mixture of the two.

      “Hey Bobby, it’s Hanna,” she said.

     There was an uncomfortably long pause on the other end of the phone before he spoke.  “What’s up?”

     Dread…that’s what Hanna was feeling right now.  She knew she loved Bobby, but she wasn’t sure how he felt about her…truly felt.

     Sure he said he loved her in the heat of passion, but did he mean his words now when his true feelings were about to be tested.  Or, was he just confused as he said before?  She needed to know…she was desperate to know.  Now more than ever.

     “We need to talk,” she said.

     She held her breath.  She had come to learn that he did not appreciate being told what to do, but she hoped that he would hear her desperation and concede to see her…to hear her out.

     Bobby blew into the phone in exacerbation.  “Hanna, we’ve been through all of this before.  There’s nothing else left to say.  Why can’t you just let it go and move on?”

     He was referring to their recent break up.  A break up that he insisted upon when he began dating someone else.  Hanna’s ire rose at the thought of the other girl that took her place and though she didn’t know her, she hated her just the same.

     In that moment she didn’t care about Bobby’s vile temper or his penchant towards violent rages.  She wanted to hurt him like he had hurt her.

     “Well, you had better talk to me or everyone, including your new girlfriend, is going to know that you’re going to be a father,” Hanna threatened.