Tainted Black

"Why did we get him? Of all people him? He's incompetent. An imbecile."

"We could use it. His pack will be the first wave. You know how your brother is. If he's the first out then he thinks that he's in charge. Let him think it. It'll give us extra time." Peyton argues, trying to convince me that my brother isn't a threat. Her rough figure hangs above me as I over look attack plans.

"He wants me dead. How can I trust him to be near my pack? I can handle myself but them!? What will they do? I can't risk it Pey, I can't." Placing the papers down, I get out of my seat, annoyed that I can't help my family.

This whole things started because Havana's father blames me for the death of his mate when, in all actuality, it's his fault. He didn't give her the attention she needed. He kept her out of his sight, almost forcing her safety on us. It wasn't anyone's fault but his and now we're in this fucked up situation because he's gone mad. To top it all of, a fucking vampire is telling him what to do and he's listening. He's listening as she poisons his mind, putting us against each other when we should really be working together to kill her!

He's a damned fool! Trying to calm myself, I look out at the woods before me and my heart beat slows down. The moon's light shine makes the night glow, seeming to give life to everything. Swaying with the wind, the trees dance together in the silent night. It looks so peaceful.

Someone knocks on the door but Peyton answers instead of me, wanting to leave me relaxing. Anna's scent drifts to my nose as I listen to them whisper, poorly, of what she's found.

"Skylar. They're here." Leaving the peaceful scene before me, I follow them out of my office and towards the living room. Our feet echo in the empty hallway as we head for our visitors, who are just as quiet as we are.

There, sitting behind the table, is Barron's disgruntled figure staring aimlessly at the walls. He looks so lost. His hair, greying, is un-groomed and untouched; his once glorious muscles are barely there, slowly fading away like he is; his eyes are the worse part. They are just dull, almost white, orbs resting in his head. Whatever Eric put them through, he felt all of it ten times worse. Looking at the other in the room, I notice that they too hold ghastly looks, not even able to acknowledge my presence.

Walking forward, I squat in front of him as my hands reach out to Barron's absent body and for the first time, he reacts. His body tenses before his arms lock around me, tears slipping from his dead eyes. He squeezes tighter as he apologizes for what's happening. How he wishes that he were strong enough to own up for what he did but I couldn't blame him. He was thinking about the fear of the situation and, in all honesty, if he had owned up to it I still would have convinced Eric that it was me.

"It's not your fault okay? I admitted to being responsible for the Death of Havana's mother. Me. Don't worry about it any longer, okay?" Pulling back slightly, a reassuring smile dances on my face but her ink cries harder.

"But it's wasn't you! I failed that day. I should have been killed but I was a coward!" He sobs, clenching his fist as his eyes focus on the floor. He's been tough on himself for being a coward and he still can't stand to look at himself because he would have done it again. He would have let someone else take the blame for his mistakes because he was afraid and I know I can't change that.

"Hey, listen to me. I forgive you. I don't blame any of what's going on, on you. It's hard, to own up to something like that, it's hard so don't go beating yourself up. I took on the burden because that's the best that I could do to make sure that you all were safe."

"Eric can hate me till he's blue in the face and until his lungs run dry and I'm okay with that. I'm your alpha and it's my job to protect you all, okay? We're an army of rogues so yeah, it'll be tough but I'll be damned if I let anything bad happen to any of you." His eyes were sparkling with tears and my heart swelled because he was feeling again. His blood is finally pumping through his veins. Barren is living again. The natural glow that always surrounds him is back, not a bright as before but it's a start.